Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Aubépine Dress

Hello everyone!

Yes, I am back already. Thanks to an impromptu photo shoot on a late-day outing after work on Thursday, I can show you my Aubépine dress, sooner than I was hoping. And with truly beautiful pictures to boot. The lighting conditions were simply ideal, with the late-aftertoon light skimming over us at the end of a gloriously sunny day, and in a beautiful natural setting. I owe my patient photographer a huge thank you for being so inspired and prolific with these pictures.

Aubépine Dress
Aubépine Dress, by Deer and Doe - outer fabric in rayon, lining in cotton voile.

Aubépine is the first challenging dress I've managed to sew for myself since I had my daughter over two years ago. I did make a dress for my sister-in-law last summer, but I used a TNT pattern for this, so it was a no-brainer (plus I will confess, it does feel more exciting to have a new fancy dress for ME!). With Aubépine, things were completely different. New pattern, from a new-to-me indie designer (who publishes in both French and English, by the way!), with quite a few details that are more complicated than average - but also make this dress stand out in the crowd.

Aubépine Dress

The rows of pintucks on the sleeves and bodice are what made me fall for this pattern in the first place. Tastefully cute, right? (what a pain they were to make right though, in this super slippery, slinky rayon fabric!).

The other design elements I really like are the scooped neckline and the care that was given in avoiding the maternity look that is often the bane of empire waistlines. This is achieved by having the waistline fall slightly lower than just below the bust, and discreet box pleats in the skirt that take away from the potentially ballooning effect of a gathered skirt.

Aubépine Dress
Oh, and pockets, of course! I love me some pockets.

Eléonore Klein, the designer behind the Deer and Doe company, put a lot of thought into making this design a beautifully finished dress, with the full lining and the enclosed casing. I will definitely be sewing more from Deer and Doe - would love to make Réglisse for summer.
I substituted the tie at the waistline with an elastic, for a more streamlined look.

My only regret is that the dress is definitely too large - I made a size 36 based on my measurements, but even the 34 (smallest) size would have still been roomy. Thanks to the gathered waistline, however, which allowed me to tighten it up, I do feel it works, even though I know the fit could be better, and will definitely size down in the next one I make. I do really want to make this again - possibly in a floral print, and leaving out the pintucks, which would get lost in a busy print anyway.

Aubépine Dress
The size issue is more apparent in the back, as you can see above.

This dress is definitely elegant, but can totally be worn when having fun with a toddler, as evidenced below:
Aubépine Dress

Aubépine Dress
Cath me if you can! Showing the tan-coloured lining in cotton voile.

Aubépine Dress

Aubépine Dress

Another highlight of that afternoon: our matching blue shoes.
Matching Blue Shoes


I cannot express how supremely happy I am to be back to sewing - even in small increments, as was the case with the Aubépine dress.

I do have lots of work piled up for the weekend, BUT I did cut out the Anna dress by By Hand London yesterday night, and am hoping to manage at least a short sewing session some time before Monday - if only to cut into the fabric.

I hope you are all having a magnificent weekend, with floods of sunshine as is the case here!

19 comments:

KarenP said...

Gorgeous! I love the color, I love the style, and I love the beautiful photos. I want this dress!

a little sewing said...

lovely dress. You and your daughter are a picture of sweetness :)

Vicki said...

Pretty dress and lovely photos!

CraftyKaty said...

I love your dress. I live in Seattle, WA and just ordered 4 Deer and Doe patterns, but sadly not the beautiful version you just made. I love the color and the pintucks! I also love your shoes! What kind are they?

Sue said...

Gorgeous dress and the photos are lovely!

Shashi Nayagam said...

Lovely dress the colour is gorgeous.

Speattle said...

Oh, it is so good to see a post fro you! I wish we were having floods of sunshine in my part of the USA, but we are experiencing bucket-loads of rain and it is gray and gloomy outside. (Probably my own fault, because I washed the car yesterday!)

I love your dress and the detailed description you have written.

You are looking well, with roses in your cheeks!

meria said...

quelle est belle ta robe! un vrai charme!

millefeuilles said...

You look beautful, dear Isabelle! Your dress has me in awe and those shoes? You carry them off to perfection!

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog. Your presence made me very happy!

I'm so glad you are well and happy too!

Stephanie

Stephanie

Rebecca said...

love your shoes esp that they match with dd's ;). glad to see you back at your machine :). love those pics! hugs to you :D !

Tracy said...

Oh, this is a very sweet dress, Isabelle! I LOVE all those folds/tucks. The almost higher, Empire-like waistline is so flattering. The fabric choice and color is wonderful too--such a great color for you! Such sweet pics with your daughter (she is 2 already!!) Happy Days to you all there ((HUGS)) P.S. LOVE the blue shoes too--both pairs. ;o)

sophie (monbouton) said...

très belle robe qui a l'air par ailleurs extrêmement confortable ! Je pense que tu as bien fait de la coudre en viscose, ça contribue à éviter l'effet femme enceinte que j'ai pu voir avec d'autres tissus un peu plus lourds

Lisbei said...

Hello ma chère Isabelle !
Ta robe est tout simplement magnifique, j'adore sa coupe et la couleur que tu as choisie ! Et elle te va à ravir, malgré le problème de taille que tu nous signales ... je trouve qu'on ne le voit pas sur les photos, en tous les cas !
Et j'aime beaucoup les photos avec ta puce, vous êtes si mignonnes toutes les deux, sagement assorties par les chaussures !
Gros bisous à toute la famille ! Et j'ai hâte de voir tes prochaines cousettes !

Tany said...

What a pleasant surprise to see you both in such a beautiful scenery and looking so playful and beautiful! he dress is outstanding and it compliments your natural beauty so perfectly! It's like it was designed with you in mind my dearest friend!
Many {{{HUGS}}}!!

Denise Hall said...

Darling dress and shoes too! Funny that I just learned of the Doe and Deer patterns this morning while visiting the Patternreview.com site! Glad to see you !
Denise in NC

Karoline said...

Your dress is gorgeous :)

Margaret said...

Beautiful dress - design and color, both! Lovely contrast with your shoes, and love the matching mother-daughter shoe color. :) I really love those earrings, as well. So happy for you both - what a gorgeous day and a marvelous time you two were so evidently enjoying!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Beautiful! It is so rich-looking in that fabric with the slight sheen and the color is perfect for you. The pintucking is a beautiful embellishment. And the photos!

Lisette M said...

Beautiful dress Isabelle! Lovely pictures as well. I'm sewing for me again :-) after spending the last couple of months sewing for theater.