Wednesday, February 03, 2010

When life gives you sick ears... Crochet pretty headbands!

Well, just as I told you I was better, my body had a different opinion - LOL. I just got a throat infection from a bacteria that was more virulent than the one causing strep throat. The infection also grew into an ear infection... and the fever just wouldn't go down. Fun! I'm currently on my second course of antibiotics. I'm feeling significantly better today. Aaahh. :)

I guess it was my body's way of saying that I needed a break. I didn't stop working during the Christmas holidays in order to get ready for the beginning of the semester, and it seems my body put me on a forced break. For a few days I was unable to do anything - I just had no choice. In retrospect, this total break felt really good.

Here's a headband I crocheted while resting. I figured this would keep my ears warmer than the looser snoods I usually wear to go out (I have a collection of snoods which I made on a knitting loom in 2008 and 2009 and have, ahem, never documented here).

The design is a crochet version of the Calorimetry that some of you knitters may know. Here's a direct link to the free pattern.
I used Lang's Superwash Merino wool. Warm, plump, smooth and soft.

This design is so cute and easy that I'm making another Calorimetry in a variegated yarn (also by Lang). I'm making this one larger (using a bulkier yarn and a larger hook) to create more of a mini-scarf effect, and am replacing the button closure with ties.

As I was in the local notions/yarn shop (La Mercerie in Montpellier) to get this yarn, one of the sellers, Katia, recognized me from Ravelry and came up to speak to me - we'd exchanged a couple of messages over there as I'd put the Mercerie into the Ravelry database. How fun is that?

As I was starting to get better over the past couple of days, I managed to finish my crochet dress (love it!), and actually got some sewing done! My first Mad Men inspired dress is almost finished. So, yeah, feeling much better in every respect. :)

To close this, and by request ;) here's a picture I just snapped of my precious:

Indulging in her favourite pastime (after cuddling and sleeping): spying on people from the window. Such a busybody, that one.

Happy weekend everyone!

21 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful head-wrap....and your earings match it too!

Kittie's photo is so regal and dignified. Yes, they are so nosie aren't they. Mine alert me to any cars pulling into our driveway.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very cute! I may have to send that crochet pattern to my mom and put in an order...

Tracy said...

So sorry you've been ill, Isabelle! Do hope you're resting and will be feeling well again very soon! Your knitting is lovely--that headband is beautiful...love that shade of plum! And what a treat to see Miss Cutie--thank you! Be well, and happy weekend, my friend ((BIG HUGS))

La Bergère Brodeuse said...

Je suis vraiment désolée pour ton malaise, mais comme je suis contente de voir que tu vas mieux, physiquement et émotionnellement. Ton ton est beaucoup plus pimpant et ça fait plaisir à lire!!!

Tes projets de crochet sont très jolis. Je vais transmettre les patrons à mon mari (c'est lui qui crochette dans la famille!!!).

Porte toi bien et une grosse caresse à ta princesse.

Sharon said...

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather. The headband is lovely-thanks for sharing the link for the pattern.

kat said...

J'aime beaucoup ce serre-tête, je crois bien que je vais m'en faire un.

Ton chat est très beau !

gwensews said...

Cute headband. Thank you for sharing the pattern. Feel better soon.

Linda said...

Nice headband! Hope you continue to feel better! Sometimes our bodies do things to us to get our attention and that we need to give ourselves a break.

KimP said...

Glad you are feeling better and creating beautiful things! And thanks so much for the photo of your incredible cat! I think you have the best looking kitty in all of blog land. : )

Tini said...

Great, that you are better! The headband is nice!

Sue said...

Beautiful cat! I also love your headband and appreciate the link as I have just returned to crochet.

Moushka said...

Love your headband, proof that you are beginning to feel well again. So sorry you've been ill. Thanks for the pattern link. Your pussy cat is beautiful; thanks for the great photos.

Gina E. said...

Sorry to read about your throat and ear infections - not nice! But glad to hear you are better now. Awww...Kitty Sweetness - she is so beautiful! Thanks for the photos - if she was mine, I'd be snapping pics every day too!

josy26 said...

Bonjour Isabelle,
il y a bien longtemps que je ne t'ai pas écrit ...je lis beaucoup de fatigue , de mal être dans tes dernières pages ... je suis désolée pour toi ...
je constate que tu es dans le sud , peut etre pas trop loin de chez moi ... je pense souvent à toi même si je ne t'écris pas . je t'envoie des ondes positives , j'espère que cela va te réconforter . Bisous .
Josy

Anonymous said...

Your headband is beautiful and P'tite Mignonne is, of course, absolutely gorgeous. Today is the first fine evening after a week of rain. My little white cat is frolicking in the garden as I write. - Cat1

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh that headband looks so chic. Miss P'tite Mignnone looks cute as ever. Take care of yourself.
Gros bisous.

Anonymous said...

Good that you are feeling better. Looking forward to seeing the dresses you made. Happy sewing and crocheting, Ann

Summerset said...

Hugs to you! How awful to be so sick. You certainly have looked to the good side of it - you did need a break and you have some crocheted some lovely things, too. Take care of yourself and that precious kitty.

supermollio said...

Hello, friend! So glad to hear you're feeling better!

We've just started watching Mad Men, too. We finished the first season (on DVD) last night. Doesn't it make you glad you're not living in the '60's? (Except for the fashion, of course, which is lovely.) All the drinking, smoking, cheating on wives, and general male misbehavior is daunting. Ugh.

I love your crochet projects! Isn't it interesting creating the fabric to the desired shape, rather than cutting and sewing it to shape?

mavalca said...

Coucou!
Ravie d'apprendre que tu vas mieux, ou presque!
As-tu essayé l'extrait de pépins de pamplemousse? Je crois que c'est aussi indiqué pour les infections auriculaires, quelques gouttes en bain d'oreille.
Ton travail est superbe, peux-tu me dire quelle sorte de fil tu utilises?
Je connaissais la laine biscotte et cie qui est autorayante, mais elle est très chère (enfin trop pour moi!)
Bisous ma douce et à bientôt!
Marie

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

The headband so elegantly complements your hairstyle. I hope you feel totally better soon! The photo of your beautiful, beloved kitty cat warms my heart!