Monday, December 19, 2011

Winter Maternity Dress

At long last! Here's the review for my winter maternity dress, along with pictures taken over a week ago... This last week has been way too busy for my own taste!
Winter Maternity Dress
(pictures taken at 6 months+1 week, i.e. 29 weeks pregnant)

So, here is Simplicity 3678, which I made in its regular (non-maternity) version twice in the past: a winter version with crossover bodice back in 2007 (which currently looks pretty cute over my bump and leggings); and a summer version, with scoop bodice and cap sleeves, in 2009.
Winter Maternity Dress
My alterations for maternity wear here were fairly simple:
- I cut the top bodice 2 sizes larger than usual at the front
- as with Simplicity 2580, I removed the taper from hips to waist in the front skirt, which gave me a rectangle for the front skirt. I redistributed the extra fabric with gathers centered at the middle front (NOT all the way around, which wouldn't have been as flattering, especially as my bump sits all at the front and not at all at the sides).
- this time, given that my bump is much bigger than back in the summer, I also lengthened the center front of the skirt, by drafting a hem that scoops down from the sides to the middle. This allows the hem to remain even.
Winter Maternity Dress
See? Even hem all around :)

I have been getting so much wear out of this dress - it is great for layering with warm tops and tights underneath, boots and a lovely red cardigan (not handmade) if it's really cold, and of course, my red coat!
Winter Maternity Dress

One last picture for the fun of it:
11-12-11jardin-plantes_robe8_1200px.jpg
(of course, this one is Seb's favourite!)

If/when I feel less tired, I'm still hoping to sew pyjamas and (perhaps?) an extra top for the last couple of months before the baby comes. We'll see. For now, though, I really need to rest up!

18 comments:

Amanda S. said...

It's really pretty! Your alterations really made it a well fitting maternity style.

Lisa L said...

Love love love it! And the trick with the hem is fantastic! :-))

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

You look amazing! Great job on the dress.

KarenP said...

Looks great, and most importantly, comfortable!

a little sewing said...

You look adorable! Very pretty dress.

Margaret said...

Your alterations are amazing. I'd never have guessed otherwise that it wasn't originally a maternity pattern. I love the design of the fabric, too! Very versatile, very stylish! You look wonderful.

Anonymous said...

je suis admirative car vous avez le temps ( vous le prenez ) pour creer de jolies toilettes . Bravo pour les transformations .Cette robe est tres jolie Passez de bonnes fêtes et à bientôt
michele

Marie-Noëlle said...

Super !!!
Tes photos sont toujours aussi jolies.
Joyeux Noël.

Rebecca said...

hey cutie!
love your dress and the pics.
rest rest rest - you dont listen to orders very well ;)
hugs

Jennifer said...

Love this dress. I really like the colors. Is the fabric textured? It seems from certain angles of the photos to have a raised texture to it.

melissa said...

You and the dress look wonderful! I had to giggle at the last photo, too!

Tiphaine said...

Super photos, comme d'habitude :). Bravo pour la robe, tu as drolement bien réussi ton coup (comme d'habitude là encore!). Je suis impressionnée par le ventre que tu as à à peine plus de 6 mois, je me demande comment tu vas être les dernières semaines! Je comprends Seb, j'adore la tête que tu fais sur la dernière photo ;).
bisous
Tiphaine

Karoline said...

Your dress is gorgeous, congratulations.

I hope you all are having a lovely Christmas

Lisbei said...

Hello ma chère amie !
Je vous souhaite à toi et à Seb un très Joyeux Noël, ainsi qu'à toute ta famille !
Ta robe est très jolie, et tu es superbe avec ce joli ballon rond qui te tient lieu de ventre ! Il y a en une qui doit avoir de la place pour danser la java, là-dessous !
Gros bisous et caresse à la petite Mignonne !

Teddylyn said...

You look so cute and so happy! Lovely wardrobe you have created--my mom made me a maternity wardrobe oh so many years ago and I always felt cute and confident going out and about. You look stylish and sophisticated. Tres jolie!

Lynda in LV

SEWN said...

I can't believe how much sewing and knitting for yourself and the baby you have accomplished in such a short time. You are an inspiration. Love the dress!

Tracy said...

LOVELY dress, Isabelle! And the last image is such fun! Your hair is sooo long now! Hoping you & yours had a lovely holiday break just now. Great to be back in blogland after two weeks away for Christmas in the USA, and catch up with you here now. Wishing you all the very best in 2012--PEACE, LOVE & JOY! And not least happy days with baby soon arriving. :o) ((HUGS))

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love this dress! It so cute, but not cutesy, if that makes any sense. You look great in it, and I love those bell sleeves.