Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Super Quick Knits (2&3) : from head to toe ~ Tricots express : de la tête aux pieds

Version française: cliquez ici (et décochez l'autre case)
English version: click here

Hello, everyone!

Next up in my series of super quick knits - a tiny hat in organic cotton, and felted slippers for the cold season. From head to toe - just not the same person's ;)
This is going to be our baby's very first hat. My sister advised me against wool, as newborns, while they need to have their heads covered when they move from womb to room temperature, also have a tendency to sweat profusely. I thus settled on organic cotton from a European company, Katia, which has a little shop here in Montpellier. When it comes to cotton, esp. for babies, I always use organic, as it is not that hard to make, and really makes a difference, both for the environment and in terms of the chemicals used to make the yarn, which is going to be in direct contact with the skin.

11-11-07hospital-hat2
Seb and I saw a similar hat in a shop, and Seb loved the little tail. The original pattern - Hospital Hat by Annika Barranti - has a knot instead of a tail, so I just knit the i-cord tail for 4 rows (instead of 3 inches) before decreasing and binding off.
This took just a couple of hours to knit. I definitely have to make a few more in some other colours!

---
I took a break from baby knitting to make myself a much-needed pair of warm slippers. Floors in Southern France (at least this part of Southern France) are typically tiled so as to stay cool in the summer; but it means they get really cold in the winter! Instead of turning the heating on, warm slippers over socks seemed a more reasonable option for the beginning of winter. :)
The design is a freebie by Drops; I took this opportunity to place my first order ever of Drops yarns, and boy have I been happy with this brand. I've been knitting with Drops yarn pretty much nonstop since then. Seriously, this brand has the best value!
The yarn I chose for these is their super bulky yarn Eskimo (100% wool), which felted beautifully. 
Again, each slipper knit up in a couple of hours, and even though I should probably have used a different kind of seam (less bulky and visible - I went for sturdy instead), I still like them, and have been wearing them all the time. The smallest size in the pattern turned out a bit big, but it's fine when worn over thick socks; it also means they slip on and off very easily, which is a definitely plus with my big pumpkin of a belly, which makes bending over more and more challenging ;)

---
I haven't had a chance to take pictures of my latest dress yet, but I love it! I hope we'll have the time to go out and take some pictures soon.


Bonjour tout le monde !

Voici les pièces 2 et 3 dans ma séries de tricots express : un tout petit bonnet, et des chaussons feutrés. De la tête aux pieds donc... mais pas pour la même personne ;)
11-11-07hospital-hat
Ce bonnet sera le tout premier de notre bébé. Ma grande soeur (maman de Robin et Florian pour celles qui se souviendraient !) m'a déconseillé la laine, car si les nouveaux-nés ont besoin d'être couverts pour supporter le changement de température de 37° à température ambiante, ils ont aussi tendance à transpirer. J'ai donc décidé d'utiliser un coton bio de la marque Katia (une marque espagnole), car nous avons la chance d'avoir une petite boutique qui vend cette marque ici à Montpellier. Quand je tricote du coton, je tâche de choisir du bio, surtout pour les bébés, car il n'est pas si compliqué d'en trouver, et que ça fait une grosse différence à la fois pour l'environnement et en termes de produits chimiques utilisés dans la fabrication du fil, qui va être en contact avec la peau.

Sébastien et moi avions vu un bonnet similaire dans une boutique, et Seb aimait beaucoup le petit toupet. Le modèle d'origine Hospital Hat par Annika Barranti - a un noeud au lieu d'un toupet, alors j'ai simplement tricoté 4 rangs avant de diminuer et de rabattre, au lieu des 3 pouces (7.5 cm) prévus.
Ce petit bonnet n'a pris que 2 heures à tricoter. Il faut vraiment que j'en fasse d'autres, dans d'autres couleurs !

---
J'ai fait une petite pause dans les tricots pour bébés afin de me faire une paire bien nécessaire de chaussons feutrés. Les sols par ici sont carrelés, ce qui est très bien pour garder la fraîcheur en été, mais glacial en hiver ! Au lieu de mettre le chauffage en route, j'ai préféré faire des chaussons bien chauds à enfiler sur des chaussettes. :)
Il s'agit d'un modèle gratuit de chez Drops; à cette occasion, j'ai fait ma première commande de laines Drops, et je suis vraiment ravie de cette marque, que j'utilise beaucoup depuis.
Le fil que j'ai choisi pour ces chaussons est leur super-bulky Eskimo, en 100% laine.
Ici encore, chaque chausson n'a pris que 2 heures à tricoter. J'aurais dû sans doute utiliser une autre type de couture (j'ai privilégié le solide à l'esthétique), mais je les aime quand même bien mes chaussons. La taille la plus petite s'est avérée un peu grande pour mes pieds de lutin, mais ça va très bien par-dessus de grosses chaussettes. Et puis au moins comme ça, les chaussons sont faciles à enfiler/enlever, ce qui est bien appréciable quand on a une citrouille en guise de bidon, et qu'il est de plus en plus périlleux de se baisser !

9 comments:

Maria M said...

The hat is very cute.
I love Drops too, and it's very easy to come by here.
I used Alaska for my most used cardigan, and while I do like it a lot, it does have a tendency to pill (it is a very softly spunned yarn, after all).
I think I need to make the slippers, too. They look great!

Helene said...

J'adore tes chaussons feutrés, faut que je m'en refasse une paire moi aussi, mes anciens chouchous (qui n'étaient pas feutrés) sont troués, et j'ai du les jeter...

Krambjörn said...

Bonjour,

Je consulte votre blog de temps à autre depuis que j'y ai vu le manteau vogue 8346 dont j'avais déjà le patron (le mien attend d'être terminé depuis plus de 2 ans et je me suis enfin décidée à le défaire car trop grand !).

J'aime beaucoup ce que vous faites et ça donne de bonnes références de patron. Mon prochain ouvrage devrait être une robe onion 2017, j'ai trouvé presque le même tissu que le vôtre ("japoniaiseries" en gris au lieu de rouge) sans le savoir.

A ce propos, où commandez-vous les patrons onion ? Je trouve peu de boutiques en ligne les vendant.

Pour finir, félicitations pour votre bébé à venir, vous faites de biens jolies choses en prévision !

Amicalement,

Leïla

KarenP said...

What a sweet hat. You will love putting it on your baby as her first hat. I will be bookmarking the slippers pattern!

Tracy said...

The hat is sooo sweet, Isabelle...it makes the heart swell, it's just so dear. And LOVE those cozy slippers. :o) Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

nowaks nähkästchen said...

What a cute hat!

The choice of cotton is very interesting. Here some of my friends knit hats for premature babies and in the hospitals they only accept wool, because they say, cotton doesn't keep the heat well enough.
And babies wouldn't sweat in the first weeks. (Which might be true for most babies, but I did from very young age, says my mother, so this rule seems not to apply to all babies.)

I guess for healthy babies the material doesn't make a difference, my generation started with polyester fibers right away and we also grew up. And cotton is soft and comfy, a good choice!

Shashi Nayagam said...

They look very comfy! Love the cap too.

Karoline said...

They're both lovely, congratulations

stacy and natalie said...

Loved your podcast and just requested to follow you on Instagram. I am alpacamommastacy.