Saturday, November 05, 2011

Fluffy Fibers: Episode 09 ~ Cashmere and Alpaca

Brassière à la française (rangs raccourcis)
Brassière à la française (short rows baby sweater); shown over my coat's cashmere fabric.

In which I indulge in sewing cashmere and knitting alpaca; offer (hopefully) encouraging tips on sewing a coat; share a small pile of knitting projects; and give a review of Coastal Knits, by Alana Dakos and Hannah Fettig.
With guest appearance by P'tite Mignonne ;)

You can download the episode (1h15min - oops!) here, or listen directly from the embedded player below (if it works on your browser).
Here is the direct feed for the podcast, and you can also find the podcast on iTunes.



Podcast Powered By Podbean

~ Episode 09 Shownotes ~
1. Sewing Projects; 2. Knitting Projects; 3. Book Review

1. SEWING (4:27)
      1.a Finished projects (4:27)
- Manteau ceinturé ("Belted Coat") from Les Intemporels pour Future Maman
- Couture Sewing Techniques by Claire Shaeffer
- my tutorial for making and sewing a lining to a coat or jacket.
- how to sew sleeve and sleeve lining hems by machine for an invisible hem (Threads article on bagging a lining: scroll down to part entitled "Sleeve hems by machine").
      1. b Coming up next (23:20 )
- Maternity/nursing pyjamas - out the same wool jersey from which I made my well-loved pyjamas years ago.
- Long-sleeved dresses
- Items from my "regular" wardrobe I found I can still wear: Onion 2017 top and tunic, and Simplicity 3678 dress.
- Onion and Minikrea sewing patterns - a Danish pattern company.

2. KNITTING (33:36)
Sunnyside Baby Cardigan in alpaca

       2.a Finishes (33:36)
- Finished the Sunnyside Baby Cardigan (shown above), in Alpaca from la Droguerie - AKA the softest yarn I ever knit with. Made fabric-covered buttons for it (see this blog post).
- Finished the Plaid Torsadé by la Droguerie. I plan on backing this with flannel.
- Made a baby dress: Super Simple Baby Tunic, out of Sirdar Crofter.
- made felted slippers - quickly made, and put on my feet so quickly that I haven't had a chance to photograph them. Made out of Drops Eskimo - my first experience with Drops yarns, which I am very impressed with.
- made the Cambrian Cowl, a very new design by Alana Dakos - just needs buttons. Made in Lang Yarns Montana, an irregular slub alpaca yarn which created a rustic kind of fabric.

      2.b Currently knitting (48:50)
- Still plugging along on the Garter Stitch Baby Kimono.
- Almost done with my Brassière à la française (shown on top of this post). Yarn for this project is Plassard Boud'chou, which I don't recommend.
- Started on a grey scarf in alpaca to go with my red coat - Etole Jardin des Plantes by La Droguerie. A fairly long project, but this is "potato chip knitting". Alpaca is Sierra Andina by Adriafil. Perfectly soft, in a subtle, luminous grey.

      2.b Coming up next (59:25)
- a newborn outfit for the hospital (wrap cardigan, hat, and booties)
- Baby Tiered Coat (sorry about mispronunciating this).

3. BOOK REVIEW (1:01:07)
Coastal Knits, by Alana Dakos of Never Not Knitting and Hannah Fettig of Knitbot.
I first mention the Gnarled Oak Cardigan. My favourite design is the Wildflower Cardigan.
I then mention Hannah Fettig's Bayside Pullover, the already quite popular Rocky Coast Cardigan, and her Water's Edge Cardigan.
Alana Dakos's Rustling Leaves Beret is lovely, but too small for me.
Projects by Alana Dakos that I already knit: Spring Garden Tee and the Cedar Leaf Shawlette.

Credits: Music: Piano Sonata in E-flat Major, mvt. 3 by Joseph Haydn, played by Mario Ajero.

5 comments:

Butterfly said...

Wow you've been busy! Hope your having fun and thanks for the reviews :)

MariaM said...

Yay!
Am downloading on Itunes and am going to listen while knitting all evening!

millefeuilles said...

Isabelle,

I am simply in AWE of your creativity, productivity, and technical ability.

You are one impressive lady! Those knits are adorable.

I am totally into Madelintosh Celadon colourway at the moment.

How are you? How's the pregnancy going?

Stay well and happy!

Tracy said...

As ever, Isabelle--AMAZED by all you created and try! Loved hearing about the coat especially as that is one thing I've never tried to sew, thinking it too intimidating to try. I've been under the weather so not much creativity happening here... Your podcast inspires me for when I'm on the go again. :o) Be keeping well... Happy Days ((LOVE & HUGS))

Margaret said...

Isabelle,
Thank you again for another beautiful and interesting post! I agree with one of the above replies, that it helps to boost my own creativity at times. :) I am nothing short of amazed at how marvelously you knit, in such a short amount of time. (It gives me hope for my own future efforts with the knitting needles!) ;-) And please don't worry about the month interval between podcasts ~ I didn't even notice the span of time passing, with my own busy activities, and it is certainly, certainly completely understandable! :) I just enjoy your podcasts so much when you do post them, that their timing is not critical. :) All the best to you and yours!