Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fluffy Fibers: Episode 06 - New Ventures

Sept. 7, 2011 - my first handspun

In which I share exciting new adventures.

You can download the episode (54:21) here, or listen directly from the embedded player below (if it works on your browser).
Here is the direct feed for the podcast, and you can also find the podcast on iTunes.


Podcast Powered By Podbean

~Episode 06 Shownotes~
Intro; 1. Thank yous; 2. Sewing Projects; 3. Knitting Projects; 4. Spinning Ventures; 5. Literature

1. Thank yous:
- My friend and fellow podcaster Rebecca (rebeccawip on Ravelry) gifted me the new and very lovely Rosy Days collection by Cecily Glowik McDonald, to make the start of term easier :)
- Martha kindly sent me the beautiful Acer Cardigan, a design by Amy Christoffers, as a thank you for the podcast.

2. Sewing projects (5:37):
- First I mention the Knitmore Girls, as Jasmin and Andrew are expecting as well.
~ 2. a. Planning a wardrobe: my motto is Functional, Fitting, and Fun!
- Functional: shades and styles that work together. Check out the Pattern Review contests, where they often have wardrobe contests (not at the moment though), whose rules can help you build your wardrobe on other occasions.
- Fitting: your occupations, your complexion, your shape, your personal style - it has to be you!
- Fun: in making and wearing these designs and fabrics. You will get so many moments of joy wearing your wardrobe and remembering the making of these clothes everytime you put them on.

~ 2. b. My pregnancy wardrobe: 
- Right now in casual occasions, I'm wearing skirts with elasticized waistbands that I made earlier: bias skirts (which I contributed to the One Yard Wonders book), and ruffle skirt.
- Jalie Patterns.
- My blog post on Paris addresses to shop for fabric; the shops I mention in the podcast are Tissus Reine and Le Marché Saint-Pierre (Tissus Dreyfus), both of which were grimly deficient in knit fabrics when I visited.
- Mamzelle Fourmi (= "Miss Ant") online fabric shop. French, and offers good quality fabrics - hurray!
- My first maternity top is Jalie 2788. Pictures forthcoming very shortly.
- I also just adapted Simplicity 2580 into a maternity dress.

I can share my detailed wardrobe plans in a separate blog post, if there is some interest.

3. Knitting projects (32:00)
- Have the sleeves left on: Vitamin D, by Heidi Kirrmaier
- Finished project (knit in the Peak District): Cardigan à empiècement arrondi (= "round yoke cardigan"). From Astrid le Provost's Tricots intemporels pour bébés (= "Timeless knits for babies"). Knit with Guéret merino wool, by Fonty (French brand).
Similar designs in English are: Round Yoke Toddler Sweater; Seamless Yoked Baby Sweater; Baby Willow Set.
- Sunnyside Baby Cardigan by Tannis Lavallée. I'm knitting the lace version, in the alpaca by La Droguerie.

4. Spinning Ventures (42:50)
Sept. 7, 2011 - my first 
handspun 
My lovely wheel is the Sonata by Kromski, which is foldable, and I couldn't be more pleased.
The dealer I bought it from is Alysse Créations. Sandrine, who takes care of the fiber part of the shop, is also a fantastic knitter and spinner, meaning she truly knows her business. Her fibers are lovely, and great value. I got a bit of several fibers to test them: Blue-Faced Leicester, Falkland, Shetland, and some of her coloured merino rovings.
I spun merino in the Céleste (= "Heavenly") colourway as my first try (shown above and on top of the post). Overspun, but my spinning friends at the local knitting group tell me it's usable, and I am excited.

5. Literature (51:04)
Currently listening to a Librivox recording: The Semi-Detached House, by Emily Eden. A fun, lighthearted novel of the late 19th century, wonderfully read by Elizabeth Klett.

Credits: Music: Piano Sonata in E-flat Major, mvt. 3 by Joseph Haydn, played by Mario Ajero.

2 comments:

Geri Cooper said...

I would love to see your wardrobe plan, I am excited to see you wardrobe pieces as well! Congratulationson your baby.

Nadia said...

6ème podcast et toujours aussi plaisant à écouter. Je t'avoue que d'écouter tes podcast en tricotant tout en buvant une tasse de thé cest un vrai moment de détente pure...