Sunday, September 18, 2011

Autumn-Winter 2011-12 Wardrobe: Pretty Pregnancy - the Plan

Warning: picture-heavy post!

In case you didn't know quite yet how much of an organisation freak I can be, the following should dispel any lingering doubt.
Here is what I am hoping to accomplish, depending of course whether my back/overall condition allows me to cut patterns and fabrics for another few months. Currently, it varies from day to day. ;)
I'm aiming to finish a garment every 10 days or thereabouts.

Wherever applicable, pictures of ready-to-wear inspiration and patterns are linked to their corresponding websites.

I. DRESSES
1. Cowl Neck Dress
Inspiration:

Pattern to adapt:
Simplicity 2580, view D, knee-length skirt
Alterations: make fuller skirt
Notes: to make in turquoise knit.

2. Mock-Wrap Dresses
Inspiration:

Pattern to adapt:
McCall's 5974
Alterations: raise waistline
Note: make shorter hem to compensate for flat-heeled shoes.
One in a solid colour (antique mauve or black), one in a print (purple/black/white knit). 

II. TOPS
1. Twist Top
Jalie 2788
Notes:Make a sleeveless version, in deep purple knit; make a 3/4-sleeved version with lengthened hem to account for bigger belly in later autumn/winter.

2. Criss-cross top
Inspiration:

Pattern:
Jalie 2787
Notes: Long-sleeved version, with lengthened hem to account for bigger belly in later autumn/winter.
In pink knit.

3. Ruched top
Inspiration:

Christina's fabulous versions!
Pattern: 
Jalie 2804
Notes: Time allowing, make one sleeveless for early autumn (white cotton jersey); make another with long sleeves, and lengthened hem, to account for bigger belly in later autumn/winter.

4. Wrap Top
Inspiration:

Pattern:

Megan Nielsen's Wrap Maternity Top
Notes: should have enough red fabric for this.

III. COAT
Inspiration:

(Love the raspberry shade!)
Pattern:
Manteau trois-quart from French book Les Intemporels pour Futures Mamans
OR/AND (depending on time/state/fabric availability):
Manteau ceinturé from French book Les Intemporels pour Futures Mamans
Note: second coat shouldn't take too long to make; useful for early winter. First coat for colder season.

IV. EXTRA LAYERS (knitting)

Vitamin D by Heidi Kirrmaier (Pipibird). In a denimy blue.


Idlewood by Cecily Glowik MacDonald. Knit longer, as a dress.
(Time allowing... not holding my breath on this one, as there is so much I want to knit for the baby!) 

V. MISCELLANEOUS
1. Zipped cover for support/nursing pillow
2. Slippers (to knit and felt, or to sew - I lean towards knitted and felted).

12 comments:

countrygirlcouture said...

I love your wardrobe choices, you're going to be such a stunning mama! Hopefully, you'll be able to get all those things finished in time to actually wear them. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, just loving the rasberry coat. That's my fave. I like the patterns that offer teen, ladies and maternity options all-in-one. The knitted dress idea is also fabulous. Knitwear is so versitile. You certainly do have your work cut out for you though, don't you?! My mother made 90% of her maternity clothes in the 1960s and I must say, they would still be stylish today. You are creating lasting heirlooms with your own clothing.
Jennifer

millefeuilles said...

Hello Isabelle!

This is all so exciting! I absolutely adore 'Les Intemporels pour Futures Mamans'. I am truly so very happy for you and wish you much creative energy with all these projects.

When you have a moment (which I doubt with all this sewing in mind) would you pop over and answer the question at the end of my current post? I am curious to find out more about your creativity.

a little sewing said...

Lovely wardrobe!! I am so happy for you.
*hugs*

Tini said...

Awesome choices. If you need more patterns, burda had some in their August issues a few years back. We can get those in the library (not that we can get anything else exciting craftwise there....). I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project but please: don't stress yourself. I got a couple of very nice shirts second hand....

Tracy said...

WONDERFUL choices to try, Isabelle! I'm especially liking the top number four--that pretty wrap will look great on you--and maybe plum color too? I admire that you're going to try sewing another coat too. Can't wait to see what you make... Happy Days. And pat your tummy from me ;o) ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

wouah, tu as prévu de faire toutes ces affaires!

je suis impatiente de voir

grosses biiiizzz

Doris

Tiddy and Charlie. said...

Wow! You have BIG plans :o) I love the rspberry coat. That's going to be stunning!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love your plans! There are some great ideas in here.

Speattle said...

Whew! I am tired just thinking about YOU doing all that creating. The coat is a big project. Have you ever done one before?

All these things will be so nice to have, and you can probably reuse them if you decide to have more babies.

Remember, after baby is born, your body will not instantly snap back to it's former shape, so it is good to have the stretchy tops for a few months. Don't forget that the bustline increases significantly during pregnancy and even more should you chose to nurse your baby. Have you considered some patterns designed to accommodate breast feeding a baby?

Geri Cooper said...

I was hoping you would post this! I love the planning stage too. I really like all your choices, so elegant and versatile too. Happy sewing and hoping you can make all you have set out to accomplish!

Natasha said...

These are very inspiring outfits. I'm rarely inspired in fall. I miss the crutch of flip flops and skimpy tank tops. But I've made a resolution to be less label-conscious.Right now I'm thinking over-the knee boots, bright tights, Moto gear, maybe even a cape...what do you think is a must for fall?