Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fluffy Fibers: Episode 05 - "not a finer county in England than Derbyshire"

natural-dye-studio-dazzle-sport-bluebell2
In which Elizabeth Bennet would no longer approve of Mr. Darcy's Pemberley. I chat about my adventures in Derbyshire, in the Peak District, mention my upcoming sewing projects and my current knitting projects, and share a summer recipe full of veggies.
(Quote in the episode's title is from Pride and Prejudice, chapter 8, and to be taken with a pinch of salt).

You can download the episode (36:05) here, or listen directly from the embedded player below (if it works on your browser).
Here is the direct feed for the podcast, and you can also find the podcast on iTunes.




Podcast Powered By Podbean

~Episode 05 Shownotes~
Intro; 1. Peak District; 2. Sewing Projects; 3. Knitting Projects; 4. Something Natural, Something Seasonal

Intro:
- Fluffy Fibers group on Ravelry.

1. Sheep, tea and hikes in the Peak District (3:19)
... And a little bit of stash acquisition, as well!
- Purl City Yarns
- Fyberspates
Fyberspates Scrumptious 4-ply in Slate and Gold
- The Natural Dye Studio (yarn picture at the top of this post)
- Electric Sheep's Riot episode
- A Playful Day also has an episode on the riots; I didn't mention it in the podcast simply because I haven't had the time to listen to it yet, but it is most probably worth a listen. Besides, her podcast is lovely!

2. Sewing Projects (15:50)
Autumn wardrobe in the plans!

3. Knitting projects (20:45)
- Finished project: Abstract Leaves Cowl, by Deb Mulder; in Lang Yarns Lyon (80% silk -20% linen) (currently blocking)
- Started and finished: Snapdragon Tam, by Ysolda Teague, out of Rowan Lima
- Started and am about 60% done on: Vitamin D, by Heidi Kirrmaier

4. Something natural, something seasonal (28:44)
My recipe for a vegetable flan:
- half a kilo/a pound of seasonal vegetables (I chose 2 types of zucchini, one pepper, you could also use tomatoes and/or carrots)
- I forget to mention that I also usually chop and cook 1 onion in olive oil, for added flavour.
- 4 eggs
- 20 cl or 3/4 cup of cream: soy cream of cow's milk cream
- seasoning: gomasio, pepper, herbs (I used rosemary and thyme, grown in my neighbour's garden, which she kindly gave me)
- optional (I personally recommend if you're not a vegetarian): ham, cooked or cured
- optional (recommended if you don't put any ham): cheese of your favourite sort; I'm not being specific here because every country has their own wonderful varieties of cheese!

Forgot to mention that the more you beat the eggs, the lighter and fluffier (ha!) the flan will be.

Bake for 35 minutes at 210°C / 410°F (thermostat 7). Do not open the oven during the baking, or the flan won't rise.

Credits: Music: Piano Sonata in E-flat Major, mvt. 3 by Joseph Haydn, played by Mario Ajero.

8 comments:

michpicard said...

bonne recette gourmande ! bonne journée
michele

Jali said...

How wonderful that you visited the Peak District and had such a good time. In love with the site and scenery from the 1995 P&P miniseries too and a parking lot does ruin the picture. That yarn store sounds extremely drool-worthy though:).

Tracy said...

Sooo glad you had such a lovely holiday in Derbyshire, Isabelle! That 1995 P & P is my fave...*swoon*... ;o) That car park in front of "Mr Darcy's house" is scandalous... what where they thinking?! That is too sad... *sigh*... Such goodies all in all here today. So sorry your local fabric shop burned down! I hear you on the difficulty of coming by good fabric. Where I am it is the same thing, and ordering online from abroad always means high customs fees. So it's actually been a while since I bought fabric for any large project, tending to use my stash for smaller pieces. LOVE the vegetable flan recipe. Must try this, and soon. Happy Days, my friend :o) ((BIG HUGS))

Ruthie said...

I recently moved to Derbyshire not far from Chatsworth but have yet to visit the house or grounds.

melissa said...

Oh I had SUCH a stressful day at work on Friday, plus I had to stay an hour late and I was very cross and upset as I finally left the office, only to find you had a new podcast episode! It was truly a drink of cool water to my day, and whenever you've got a new episode, yours is always the first podcast I listen to (I'm a total podcast addict, too, so that's no small praise).

I was especially pleased to hear about your bluebell yarn made from the sheep you saw surrounding your walks. It sounds like the perfect souvenir!

Dieselle said...

(je commente en français, car j'ai trop peur de faire des fautes en anglais !! ;) ;) ;))

C'était sympa de pouvoir t'entendre de vive voix, et je pense avoir compris la globalité de ce que tu nous a raconté :)
Je ne pensais pas que tu étais autant investie dans ce blog (je ne passais pas souvent), mais c'est agréable à voir, ça me donnerait presque envie de me mettre à la couture..!

monbouton said...

wow! you sound so organized in your sewing projects! did you make a spreadsheet?

KathleenS said...

I'm sorry you were disappointed in Lyme Park. If you have a chance in the future, you might like to visit Chatsworth. As I expect you know, it is thought to be a possible inspiration for Pemberley (the setting is similar to the description). In any case, it's a beautiful house, in a beautiful setting. They have some stunning rooms and art works in the house, and the gardens are lovely too. They also have a (hedge) maze. There were sheep and hens on the lawn in front of the house when I was there, and I think it's unlikely they'll have done anything dreadful with carparks since then, as Chatsworth has always had a lot of visitors whereas I expect Lyme Park experienced a big change after Pride and Prejudice. (Chatsworth was of course used for the 2005 Pride and Prejudice movie, but they only used the side of the house, for whatever reason.)