Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fluffy Fibers Podcast: Episode 02 - Shared Joys

In which I talk about sharing the delight of textile crafts with friends - new summer projects that make me happy - Amanda, a constantly inspiring sewing adventurer - experiencing a blissful communion of feeling with Dorothy Richardson's heroine Miriam - and the joy of starting your day with handmade, healthy and tasty granola.

You can download the episode (42:07 minutes) here, or listen directly from the embedded player below (if it works on your browser).
Here is the direct feed for the podcast, and you can also find the podcast on iTunes.





Podcast Powered By Podbean




~Episode 02 Shownotes~

Intro; 1. Projects; 2. Inspiration; 3. On my Bookshelves; 4. Something Natural, Something Seasonal.

Intro and chit chat:
- My ravelry page: KittyStitches.
- Fluffy Fibers group on Ravelry.

1.a. Sewing Projects (5:52)
- I finished my Lecien ruffle skirt in cotton lawn, and share a tip on using regular sewing thread on a serger. No pictures yet.
- I started on the Monique Dress.

1.b. Knitting projects (9:52)
- I share a formerly secret project, which initiated me to the joys of lace knitting: the 192 Yards of Heaven shawlette, in Malabrigo worsted.
- I finished Miette; it only needs blocking
- My skeins of Madelinetosh Tosh Merino light in Baltic, a birthday gift.
Madelinetosh Light Merino in Baltic
Currently being knit into the Mothed Sweater by Mags Kandis. My Ravelry project page.
- A Malabrigo treat in Abril:
Malabrigo Sock in Abril
Bought in a darling new yarn shop in Nîmes, La fille du Tailleur.
Yarn is already being knit into Ysolda Teague's Damson shawlette.

2. Inspiration (22:35)
Amanda's Michael Kors polka dot dress - and her daughter's matching dress.
If you don't know Amanda's blog yet, do yourself a favour and go get inspired by her great taste and creativity.
(I also mention a retro polka dot dress I made in the past.)

3. On my bookshelves (26:08)
I have embarked on the reading of Pilgrimage, by Dorothy Richardson. The first novel in the series is Pointed Roofs (published 1915).
Leave a comment under this post if you wish to be entered in the giveaway for a copy of Pointed Roofs. I'll be drawing a name for the next episode, so the giveaway will close on July 4 at noon (GMT + 2 time).

4. Something natural, something seasonal (36:37)
My recipe for handmade organic granola:
Something so obvious for me that I forgot to mention it, is that this is the kind of recipe where using organic produce is definitely a must. It will taste much better, and be safer, esp. as regards the whole grains in the recipe (the husk/hull of grains being what gets most of the chemicals used in non-organic farming).
You will need:
- 300 grams / 10.5 ounces / a little less than four cups of oat flakes = oatmeal for those of you in the US
- 50 grams /1.76 ounces / 5 tablespoons of whole sesame seeds
- 100 grams / 3.5 ounces of hulled sunflower seeds
- then I use a fruit and nuts mix from my organic foodstore, which has sultanas, hazelnuts, almonds, cashew nuts. I use 250 grams / 9 ounces of it.
- 200 ml / 6.7 ounces apple juice
- 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- optional: cinnamon and/or spice mix (cloves, ginger etc.)

Credits: Music: Piano Sonata in E-flat Major, mvt. 3 by Joseph Haydn, played by Mario Ajero.

17 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Great podcast! And thanks for all your sweet comments! It is such fun to hear your voice over the internet and I find your accent delightful.

Anonymous said...

Oh you love reading too !
What are your favorite books?
Thanks for sharing this recipe ^^

Anonymous said...

Oh Isabelle! Your podcast is a true delight again. I really couldn't possibly imagine sharing any tip to make it "better," as it is already ideal ~ to me. :) I wanted to mention, regarding accent and such, that in all honesty your accent is virtually flawless. (I say that as both a native speaker of English, and, interestingly, as an English literature major in college, as well.) I am writing from the States, and there is such a wide variety of pronunciations here, and some actually articulate less precisely than you do. :) Thank you again for putting together such an interesting and pleasant podcast!

Isabelle said...

Thanks to the three of you!
Anonymous commenters - thank you so very much. I wish I knew who you were to thank you personally :)

Marie-Noëlle said...

Merci pour ces podcasts, quel travail cela doit représenter. Je suis admirative de ton accent quoique tu en dises. J'espère que c'est le début d'une longue série.

julia said...

Hi Isabelle, thanks for this 2nd episode, I've almost finished it, but decided to listen to it again when no little one screams "miaum" at my side all the time (I've been listening on the site and the pic of you and the cat... she just couldn't get enough).
I really enjoy your accent, don't worry about that. I have never met another French person with that tiny an accent (and I've been living in France for 11 years now). You sound so knowledgable and interesting, I want to go to Montpellier and take a English Literature course with you.
I had never heard about Dorothy Richardson before, but it does sound like I would enjoy that kind of book. I'd love to win a copy. :)

Tracy said...

Another delightful episode, Isabelle! I just love hearing your speak... your accent is wonderful, truly! Scrumptious yarns... And Damson has been in my Rav queue a while too, now I think about it. Can't get those lovely Madelinetosh yarns in Norway. I knit after English & American patterns, and often have a frustrating time finding yarn to "fit" a project, which is why I have been knitting less lately. I try to get some yarn while in the States and bring back when I can. When we were home last month, I sadly, didn't get to yarn shop. :o( Shock, I know... LOL! LOVE your granola recipe. I've not made my own in ages--must do! And you will be surprised, but I didn't know about this Dorothy Richardson book either. Must add to reading list. Very much looking forward to your next podcast and topics! Happy Summer Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Kay said...

Hi Isabelle, thank you very much for that enjoyable and entertaining second episode of your podcast. Your 42 minutes brightened up the Irish summer today, since we have lashing rain outside, and helped me to get all my previously wrongly knitted stitches and rows back on track. I also had a look if our library is carrying the Dorothy Richardson book, but to no avail, so I'll throw my hat into the pot - maybe I am lucky! :-)

.x.Helen.x. said...

I really enjoyed this second episode. I find it very relaxing to listen to late in the evening. And you have some really lovely yarn - i'm looking forward to seeing what it becomes.

Shirley said...

The book series sounds interesting. Have you heard of overnight granola? You bake it for 10 minutes, stir it, turn the oven off and leave it in the oven overnigt so it's ready for breakfast. I have made it after using the oven for something else so the oven is alreay hot. Saves electricity!

knitterknurse said...

Thank you for your lovely podcast. I heard about it from the Knitmore Girls today when I listened to their last podcast of the summer before they take a break. I immediately downloaded and listened to your first two episodes, enjoying them immensely. Please feel free to include more discussions about English literature. Unlike the other topics in your podcast, this is a subject I don't know very much about and would like to learn more. I think that is what I like best about this podcast--it is a mix of topics I know lots about and others that I don't but am interested in. And don't give another thought to your accent. It absolutely doesn't get in the way of your being understood and adds to the charm and uniqueness of your podcast.

Joyce Fischer said...

I love this podcast! It's about all the things I love to do; sewing, knitting, cooking, and reading. Loved the review of Pilgrimage by Dorothy Richardson. I had no idea about her and you've got me dying to read her first book. I desperately want to be included in the book giveaway. I checked Amazon and this book is not very available. So, count me in!

By the way, I was directed to your podcast from KnitMoreGirls podcast. They gave you a very nice review and they love you accent. So don't worry. The quality of your voice is so pleasant that it really makes listening a pleasure.

Can't wait for the next episode!

Anonymous said...

I found your podcast through the Knitmore Girls. It is wonderful. Thanks for the review on Dorothy Richardson.

Sandy L

Anonymous said...

Hello and I'm very glad to have discovered your podcast. I love the combination of sewing, knitting, reading, cooking, and sustainability... all great ingredients. Please enter me in your contest for the Richardson book.
Many thanks,
Diane
ditetre(at)mac(dot)com

leslie said...

Thank you for another delightful, informative, and inspiring podcast. I love the ruffle skirt and the detail with the linen as the bottom ruffle is especially nice. I am going to look through my fabrics to see what might be suitable to get the same effect.

Leslie

Robin said...

A wonderful podcast, quite nice! :)

Nadia said...

Bonjour Isabelle,
Je viens juste d'écouter ce second épisode, et bien que je le trouve un peu plus difficile à comprendre, je l'ai beaucoup aimé. Je vais sûrement essayé ta recette de céréales. Aussi rapidement que ta recette de flan aux courgettes qui a eu beaucoup de succès d'ailleurs.
J'ai particulièrement apprécié dans la partie inspiration le fait que tu ne veuilles pas te laisser dicter ta façon de t’habiller par les devantures des magasins.
Bon week-end. ^^