Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Violaine Tunic

Remember these?
They became this:
Violaine is a top designed by a French designer, Sylvie Damey - although the instructions are written in English. You'll also find it on ravelry:
I made this top with an informal look in mind; this is definitely not something I'd wear to work, but I made it for these days when I can work from home and want to feel more relaxed (and warm!) but still a bit cute.

I changed the shells pattern from the empire waist down:
Starting row of shells: SH in first sc, *skip 1 sc, sc in next sc, skip sc, SH in next sc*, repeat between * to end;
Following rows: SH in each sc, sc in ch-sp of each SH to end.
I did the first row of shells with a 5.5-cm hook, and the following rows with a 6-cm hook for an airier effect. I switched to a 6.5-cm hook from the low waist down.

If you're interested in making this design and want detailed notes on my alterations, they are on my Ravelry project page.

The top closes with a couple of buttons at the back, a detail I found really cute.

I did block the tunic, but it has grown a bit more since these pictures were taken.

This tunic is lightweight, but the yarn (Tosca Light by Lang Yarns) is very warm. And people - just look at the colours: blue, turquoise and purple (AKA the shades I keep obsessing over) softly, softly merging one into the other... Can it get any better than this? ;)
I cannot praise this yarn enough: I am now craving for it in its purple-red colourway...

17 comments:

Victoria said...

I love your top!

Amanda S. said...

Gorgeous! I think this is my favorite thing that you've crocheted so far. I love the design, especially with the back buttons, and the colors are so pretty. Great job!

Katie said...

What a beautiful top! I love the colors and the style. I need to learn to crochet!

Catherine said...

C'est très réussi, Isabelle! Je sens que tu vas bien en profiter avec l'hiver qui s'annonce rude!

marysews said...

Stunningly gorgeous! Love it!

Summerset said...

Beautifully done and such a wonderful colorway for you.

Anonymous said...

tu es bien mignonne dans cette tunique et elle doit être chaude et confortable, beau travail!

biiizzz de mes montagnes, où la neige est tombée cette nuit!

gratouilles à Ptite Mignonne

Doris

Lisbei said...

C'est magnifique ma chère Isabelle, j'aime aussi ces belles teintes !
Bisous !

Jali said...

It looks like a deliciously beautiful yarn and in such a beautiful colourway too. The tunic shows the yarn's beauty splendidly. Love it!

KayB said...

Hu... this is a cutie, Isabelle!

Julie said...

Très sympa comme tunique. Effectivement peut-être pas à porter au boulot, mais très sympa pour sortir entre amis néanmoins ;)
Ta productivité, alors que tu es surchargée de boulot à côté, m'impressionne toujours autant !
Gros bisous.
A bientôt.
Julie

Tracy said...

LUSCIOUSLY beautiful color...wow! I can see that in purple too...mmm... Wonderful finish, Isabelle, This little sweater suits you so well. Do show us the purple later. ;o) Just catching up on your recent posts... We have a good many gatherings & get-togethers in the next days, so visiting friends early this week in blogland. I hope to post again before the holiday break :o) Hoping you & yours have the happiest holiday season & wishing you all the best in 2011! ((HUGS))

Momglouglou said...

Sympa! l'hormanie des couleurs est vraiment très belle.

mpcocotte said...

J'aime beaucoup le dos boutonné, c'est très délicat. Bravo

a bientot

Marie Pascale

Krystal said...

Beautiful! And it looks nice and warm :-)

paco peralta said...

Hi Isabelle.- Only wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. My best wishes for another year full of happy sewing ...!!!

Karoline said...

It's lovely Isabelle, congratulations

Happy Christmas to you & P'tite Mignonne