Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tenue de Concert

And now for something slightly different ;)
As you may recall, my vocal ensemble's regular dressing code for concerts is black. Sometimes, however, some of the women perform as part of a smaller ensemble, with a few baroque instrumentalists; for these concerts, our outfit has to be coloured, preferably in red/maroon tones. We had a concert on Nov. 21 and here is what I wore:
The pictures were taken after the concert, and I was feeling the exhaustion after the pressure of a very dense concert (Haendel + Pergolesi) and weekend-long rehearsals, all on top of a busy week at work. I'd also undone my hair, as the photo shoot wasn't planned and just happened at the last minute. I had actually already changed into my normal clothes when it dawned on me that it could be quite an opportunity to have pictures of me taken here and then, in the beautiful museum where the concert had taken place: so I quickly changed back into my concert outfit for a few pictures. Hence the tousled hair and wan look ;)

The skirt is Simplicity 2953 (ETA Dec. 3: on my European envelope, the pattern number is 7239 is the European pattern number; I just found the American pattern number on the Simplicity website) - an über simple two-panelled skirt, with a slim waistband, a zipper and hook and eye closure.
The first time I performed with this smaller formation, people had sort of forgotten to tell me about the dress code ;) I only had a few hours before the final rehearsal to buy fabric, a pattern, and make the skirt, so I couldn't afford to be too ambitious. It fits the bill perfectly as it is, anyway.

The fabric is crepe-backed satin - it isn't too shiny in normal lighting, but it does shine quite a bit when the flash is on though!
The beauty of this fabric is that it doesn't take a single crease, which is very handy when you travel to the concert location, sometimes 50 to 100 kms away, and are not sure how you're going to be able to store your outfit during the final rehearsals.
The top is Vogue 7997 - I made it 2 years ago. The fabric has a high amount of lycra, which makes it very silky and IMO acceptable for formal occasions. I really love this top, and force myself not to wear it too often, so that it remains fresh and like new for this kind of occasion.

Here is the outfit in action, during the concert:
You know, I would love to have fun and make a really nice concert outfit some day. As much as I think I should really ease on the concerts as I have way too much on my plate ATM, I do love this opportunity to dress formally (on top of the thrill of the actual concert, obviously!). Wearing a full skirt is so nice. If you have any pattern ideas, please do share!

17 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

The outfit is beautiful and I love the colour. Keep up with your singing as your voice is one of the lovely gifts you have. I wish I could hear you sing.

Cennetta said...

Beautiful skirt. I love jewel tones.

Lori said...

Beautiful skirt and color.

Tany said...

You look stunning, dear friend! I love your concert ensemble!

Giulia said...

You look beautiful. I wish we could all have heard the concert. xo

Catherine said...

Très bel ensemble, Isabelle, qui convient parfaitement pour une ambiance baroque!

Jali said...

Glad that you got to take pictures at the concert venue. They turned out beautifully. You look beautiful and the outfit is perfect.

ViRginiE said...

Superbe!

Anonymous said...

You look stunning! I really wish i could find the time to come to one of your concerts one day.
going to miss you saturday :(
hope to see you soon.
rebeccawip

Summerset said...

Elegant, and just right for a concert. The architecture at the venue is wonderful for pictures, I'm glad you made the effort to change back after an exhausting performance.

Cathy said...

Love the skirt and the photos of you singing! I always feel silly when I see pictures of me singing because my mouth is all hanging open, but you look lovely!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Looks like the perfect simple but elegant ensemble for your ensemble. I like your hair down!

Helene said...

Très bien, cette tenue de concert.

Il va falloir que je mette aussi dans mes signets ton ensemble musical : sans être aussi assidue que je le voudrais, j'apprécie particulièrement la musique baroque. Je vais régulièrement écouter Les Passions (http://www.les-passions.fr, dont j'ai fait il y a quelques temps le design du site web), et c'est toujours une grand plaisir. Montpellier n'est pas si loin (surtout l'été, l'hiver on a moins envie de bouger), et ce pourrait être l'occasion de venir t'écouter ;-)

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

What a beautiful, elegant skirt. Very well sewn and it looks perfect on you.

Tracy said...

Hi, Isabelle! LOVE your concert pairing of black top and wine red skirt--that skirt is wonderful! We're now back from our Thanksgiving/USA trip--had wonderful time! I'm slowing getting to visiting and such though, as I've not been feeling too well in recent days--but getting there. Great to be catching up with you and back in blogland. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

mavalca said...

Magnifiques!
Autant ta jupe que toi!
Tu nous mettrais un peu de ta musique sur ton blog?!
Je suis désolée, je suis très à la bourre dans mes mails mais je pense bien à toi et espère que tout va bien.
Dimanche une nouvelle minette arrive chez moi, je t'en enverrai une petite photo, elle devrait te plaire!
Bisous et à bientôt!
Marie

Anonymous said...

très élégante tenue et rès réussie, bravo!

Je suis très émue en voyant cette photo, car elle me rappelle la vidéo où tu chantes "l'Avé Maria", lors de ton événement très spécial!

grooses biiizzz

Doris