Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Organic Shawl in Tea Green


Several yarn makers now offer yarn made of organic material.
While organic does not necessarily mean 100% environment-friendly - growing cotton uses a lot of water, be it organic or not, although organic farms strive to make the most of rain water and use less irrigation - it does entail that no pesticides were used, which is particularly significant for cotton, as 25% of the world use of pesticide is solely devoted to cotton!

A major brand that makes organic cotton yarn in France in Plassard. It offers organic cotton in sports weight, as well as recycled cotton.
(I doubt their recycled cotton is suitable for crochet though, as it is more loosely spun; you need an extra firm ply in crochet, as you handle the yarn in the opposite direction from knitters and therefore unwind it at every turn of the hook. This article explains it quite well. Plassard's "coton bio", OTOH, is quite crochet friendly.)


You may recall I was crocheting this shawl in the spring - I also gave you a sneak view before I left on holidays. I was simply waiting for the opportunity of a photo shoot in natural outdoors to share pictures with you. The shade is a pale tea green, though it may appear washed out by the sunlight there was that day. (The pictures were taken in Northern France).

The pattern for this is "Eva's Shawl", one of the most popular crochet shawl patterns on Ravelry. It's free - here's the direct link to the PDF.


I added a shell border of my own - here is it (in the improbable case anyone's interested!):
Final row of shawl has to be row 3.
Row 1: ch 1, sc in beginning chain, sc in each DC, 2 sc in top of beginning chain
Row 2: ch 3, DC in first sc, ch1, skip next sc, ch1, DC in next sc across, except in the 3 ch-1 sp increases: DC, ch1, DC ch-sp. Put final DC in top of beginning chain.
Row 3: ch3 (count as 1 DC), 2 DC in first DC, sc in next DC, 5 DC in next DC across.


I crocheted this after I was done with my Mom's shawl, mainly during my commute from work (I work on the way to work, but am too knackered to work/read on the way back, so a repetitive crochet project is ideal).


This shawl is very lightweight, and perfect for those slightly chilly moments that may (or may not!) occur in early morning here in mid-season, just as this morning.

21 comments:

Catherine said...

Un petit coucou en passant! Je vois que y-tu es aussi douée avec ton crochet qu'avec ta machine à coudre :-)

KarenV said...

Isabelle, it's beautiful! Just perfect for these chillier mornings and evenings :)

Yulwen said...

Je prends enfin le temps de te dire que cette série de photos est très réussie et met bien en valeur tes deux châles :) Qui sont eux aussi très réussis :)
Mes préférées sont bien sûr celles avec la guest star :D
A bientôt.

pinky said...

et petite mignonne qui prend la pause sur l'herbe ;)

julia said...

lovely shawl! and I have to check out the organic cotton.

Linda said...

I admire those who can knit and crochet. I am defintely not one of those who can or do. Lovely shawl!

Lisette M said...

It is beautiful!

mermaids said...

so beautiful!!! very romantic. the photos are gorgeous too.

Bogdan Stelistul said...

Salut!!!My name is bogdan from Romania!!!
We can be friends ???
http://bogdanstelistul.blogspot.com/
I can put on your list of blogs?? thanks

Digs said...

Very pretty! your crocheting output is impressive.

Anonymous said...

très réussi ce châle, tu es très douée au crochet bravo!

Deux Beautés dans l'herbe, woua!!!!!

bizzz et câlins à Ptite Mignonne

Doris

Donna W said...

Beautiful shawl! give kitty a scratch on the chin for me. LOL

Summerset said...

Hmm . . . I lost the first comment. My apologies if there are two from me. The shawl is beautiful and I see that your lovely kitty has joined you for the photos.

Moushka said...

Lovely series of photos. Your are inspiring me to dig out my crochet hooks as your shawls are so beautiful. Adorable photos of P'tite Mignonne, too.

Shashi Nayagam said...

It is beautiful!!

Lisbei said...

Hello my dear friend !
J'adore tout simplement la dernière photo, vous êtes si belles toutes les deux ... quand je vois ce magnifique châle, je regrette de ne pas savoir crocheter, et je n'ai pas le courage d'apprendre toute seule avec un livre ... ici, un châle serait bien utile, car depuis quelques jours, les mâtinées sont très fraîches, à peine une dizaine de degrés au lever du jour ... mais je savoure, car cela fait du bien de ne plus avoir trop chaud en permanence ... j'ai pensé à toi hier devant les infos, j'ai vu qu'il y avait eu des incendies vers Montpellier ... peut-être as-tu senti la fumée, sauf si tu es toujours dans le Nord ...
Je t'embrasse bien fort, une caresse à la belle minette ...

Tracy said...

Oh, soooo PRETTY, Isabelle! LOVE the soft blue color and your addition of shell edging... it's all perfect! :o) Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very pretty, and the setting is so idyllic!

katia said...

suberpe !

daffy said...

hi i came across your blog while browsing. you have beautiful shawl and i like your fluffy itty.

Alexandra said...

Gorgeous! I love the eyelet pattern, and the color is so pretty, too.