Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Still no Internet!

Hello everyone :)
I've been settling into my flat, but the Internet provider company is (yet again) late in hooking me back up... I'm trying to take this philosophically - getting annoyed won't solve anything anyway! - and to enjoy the silver lining: much more reading and stitching time, although I do miss being in touch with you all, and hope that everyone understands the situation. I'm currently blogging from an eeePC, with a very erratic connection.

I just treated myself to a few days in London, after a particularly stressful last month. Not quite sure how I managed to get it all done, but I did :) And  my stay in London was a lovely reward, albeit too short!

While in London I met dear Nicki at last - it was wonderful. We've been friends online for about 5 years and this meeting was way overdue, especially as we'd hoped to meet last year. My only regrets are that we didn't get to meet earlier, and that we both forgot to take a picture as a souvenir! To those of you who know Nicki yet haven't met her, she is even lovelier IRL than online, and that's quite saying something :)

To those of you wondering, I haven't touched my sewing machine in ages - it is still packed away in the study/sewing room to be, as I'm still waiting to get a bit of furniture to get everything organized.

What I have been doing, though, is crochet - nope, I'm not off the hook yet, and I hope my sewing friends aren't overly discomfited by this. Crochet has been perfect to carry around in the train, and even while moving - taking a half hour off here and there to pick up a project has proven quite soothing for my nerves, and this couldn't have been possible with sewing of course - not when you barely have the corner of a sofa to sit on ;)

I just took pictures of my last completed project, a lilac Rowan top that I literally finished in the Channel tunnel on my way to London, and which I'm quite happy about;  but I realized I did have some pictures of one of my previous finishes already uploaded on Flickr - a little shrug that's been quite useful in the bizarre (read: abnormally rainy and cold) weather we've been having here. So that's what I'm showing here, pending pictures of my other projects. This cute little shrug that was a freebie on Ravelry. The good news is, it's now been made available even to those outside Ravelry :)
You already saw it in its almost finished state (I only needed to weave in the yarn's ends), but outside shots do make a difference - and you get a peek of my lovely town :)

(The jean skirt is a Burda pattern that I sewed up last year.)

To those interested in making this, here are the alterations I brought to the design for a smaller fit:
  • I used a 4-mm (G) hook instead of the recommended 5-mm (H)
  • reduced the back width. My beginning row was 9-inc.-12-inc.-28-inc.-12-inc.-9.
  • started triple crochet stitches right from the third row, instead of below the armhole, to avoid a too-dense fabric (as the crochet hook is now smaller).
That's quite enough for now!
DO take care, everyone. I hope to be back online soon, so I may catch up on some long-delayed blog reading!

17 comments:

Kathryn said...

I am always happy to read your blog, even if sporadically. I'm glad you got to take a vacation and got to meet a friend IRL (In Real Life). Moving is chaotic, but the result will be worth it. Bon chance!

Jennifer said...

Great to see you back in Blogland, even if on a dodgy connection. The photos are beautiful. I love my rural area, but all those historic old buildings near you.....it makes me miss a more "metropolitan" area and it's culture.
Did you see any fashion exhibits at the V&A?

Anonymous said...

How nice to see you back blogging Isabelle! I like very much your top and also very much the pin you have to attach it. About the shelves, can't you have them delivered from the shop? Take care and have fun! Ann

countrygirlcouture said...

Your stuff always makes me think I need to learn how to crochet more than a shaky chain stitch. Hopefully you'll be able to fire up your sewing machine again soon! BTW, where did you get the awesome pin that you are wearing in this set of pictures? Don't be scared to call and harass the internet company a bit--especially if you are already paying for the service.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

That is a lovely top. The colors are beautiful.

pinky said...

je vois très bien ou tu as pris ces photos et ce qui m'a toujours surpris c'est que la seule ville où j'ai retrouvé la même ambiance que ce soin là c'est dans le coeur historique de `genève...

a little sewing on the side said...

It's nice to read that you are thriving. Very cute little shrug, too!

Catherine said...

J'attends avec impatience tes commentaires sur l'expo de quilts du V&A! Bonne journée avec peut-être un peu de soleil qui tarde à venir ici aussi!

Tracy said...

So glad mostly all went well with the move & settling in, Isabelle! Hope you will online again for good soon. So wonderful you had a little side trip to London--such fun!--and meeting your friend. LOVE the crocheted top--perfect for all seasons, and great color way of yarn. Due to some family matters, I will be needing to take an unexpected break, which I will posting about today. Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Lisette M said...

Really nice shrug, very pretty colors.
Hope your internet is up soon!

Vicki said...

Cute top and what a beautiful backdrop!

Emily said...

What wonderful photos! Great work, too!

Nicki said...

LOVE the top! Wish I'd got to see it IRL :) Next time we must remember to take photos and have a show and tell as well! I had such a great time x

And I'm knitting. Talking with you got me thinking about crafts and I decided to give it a go. It's been so long I wasn't sure I'd like it, but patterns are so much more interesting than 20 years ago and I'm loving it! So thank you for rejuvenating a lost-lost hobby!

Tini said...

The shrug/bolero has great colours and I love the pictures. Your hometown seems to be really nice. I admit, that I'm not sewing (much) too. Putting my feet up and knit is a lot easier! I bet, when autumn/winter comes and you are settled in your new flat the sewing will come back!

Lisbei said...

Hello my dear friend !
Je suis ravie d'avoir de tes nouvelles et de voir que tout va bien, même si tu dois être lessivée après tout cela ... mais les vacances arrivent, peut-être avec le soleil (mais si, il finira bien par montrer son nez un jour ou l'autre). J'adore ton petit boléro crocheté, ses couleurs te vont très bien !
Mille baisers et des caresses à la belle Miss Fluffy !

Sigrid said...

Lovely colors. You certainly live in a nice place!

Jali said...

The shrug is a piece of beauty. The colours seem well placed in the beautiful surroundings. Lovely!

Hope the weather is improving now. Keep well.