Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Belle Sleeve Birthday Pullover

This year, instead of making a cute dress, I finished a lacy top just in time for my birthday. It's been a week, but the usual work overload, daily rehearsals and a challenging concert last Sunday, haven't been exactly favourable to blogging.

The design's name is really Bell Sleeve Pullover, but "Belle Sleeves" sounds much more fancy, don't you think?
The pictures were taken at my parents', in le Nord. Hence the typical yellow bricks.
The design is by one of my favourite designers, Doris Chan. For anyone interested, it is available for free.
The only thing I changed was adding a few more rows to the body. I also crocheted the bottom rows and the sleeves’ bells with a 5.00-mm crochet hook, to add a bit more flare. I didn’t add any extra rows to the sleeves.  Sigh... Love the sleeves! Especially the edging, with the picot and fans.
This turned out much prettier than I was hoping: nothing to do with the pattern, but I wasn’t too happy with the yarn’s texture. I was also afraid it wouldn’t be comfortable to wear as the yarn didn't have much give at all, but as it turns out it’s fine.

The yarn is Rigato, by Austerman. It is a single colour, but is self-stripping through the variation in texture - from matte (linen) to shiny (rayon).
I love wearing this top - wearing black lace is truly a special feeling.  This wasn't the first time I made a black lacy top, and I can't promise it'll be the last, either.

My current project is a lilac cotton top from the Rowan Summer Crochet book. This book is so beautiful, I want to get lost in its pages. 

I have had some emergency sewing to do, as well, as I was told I was to wear a non-black concert skirt to last Sunday's concert only two days beforehand! As a result, the skirt is way simpler than I might have liked (it would have been a nice opportunity to have fun with formal sewing), but it fit the bill. I can always make a fancy top to match the skirt next time.

I'm not quite sure when I'll manage to post the next update. I'll be moving into a brand new, larger, lovely flat in the weeks to come. There's even a tiny garden for P'tite Mignonne! I loved living in my current flat with its beautiful mosaic tiles and its white mezzanine, but the street was just too noisy for the light sleeper that I am. Besides, it'll the largest flat I've ever had, and I'll be turning one of the two bedrooms into my study / craft room!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joyeux anniversaire ! Love, love, love your très belle pullover. And bon courage with the end of the school year stuff and moving.

Karen in Paris

Maria said...

WOW, looks great. very romantic. That was a lot of work, he?

KarenV said...

What a gorgeous top, Isabelle! It really suits you and the sleeves are fab! :)

Glad to hear about the new flat - it sounds wonderful. (And now I need your address again LOL ;) )

countrygirlcouture said...

Beautiful! I'm going to hoard the pattern, and maybe someday I'll break down and learn how to knit/crochet so that I can make something like this.

Jennifer said...

Oho how lovely. The lace effect of the corchet is very pretty and it fits nicely. I love the sleeves! Good luck with the new apartment.

melissa said...

Happy birthday! It's gorgeous and so classic! You're going to love having a dedicated crafting room in your new flat - it's SO nice to be able to leave projects out and pick right up where you left off later.

Maeve said...

I adore the pullover! Thank you so much for sharing the link to the pattern. :)

Congrats on finding a new apartment with a bit of garden. And a craft room! That would cheer up my spirits immensely, and I hope it does for you too.

cidell said...

I wish, wish, wish I could crochet and knit! Happy Birthday!

anniebelle said...

I love doris chan, she's one of my favorites.
You have a lovely blog Isabelle and an even lovelier cat!
Greetings from sunny Florida btw!
Nancy

Tini said...

Supercute top! You look smashing and happy belated birthday!

Lisette M said...

It's a beautiful top! I love the sleeves too!
Congratulations on moving to a bigger place!

Lina said...

WOW!!gorgeous top!!!I also like your previous projects.So elegant and sophisticated.

Summerset said...

Beautiful! It is perfect for you. Happy Birthday! I am sure you and your lovely kitty will enjoy the new, larger space, too.

Lori said...

Your pullover is stunning.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Beautiful sweater! Having a two bedroom flat is heaven. I looooove my sewing room.

mainely stitching said...

Your moving plans sound so exciting, Isabelle! :D I'm so glad you'll have a larger, quieter place with a garden for the kitty.

Your sweater is stunning. I really, really love it.

And please accept my late but heartfelt birthday wishes!!

Vicki said...

How exciting to have the extra space! And your top is so gorgeous - very Morticia Adams!

Sharon said...

What an amazing top! It's gorgeous. congrats on the new flat!

Sigrid said...

Moving again, you're getting experienced! Good to hear you'll have more space.
Lovely top.
Good luck with all the year end hassle, hope you will have more time to sew after that.

Lisbei said...

Hello ma chère amie !
Ce petit haut dentellé est simplement magnifique, et j'adooore les manches moi aussi !
Bon courage pour le prochain déménagement, quelle joie d'avoir un bout de jardin et une pièce toute dédiée à tes passions !
Je t'embrasse bien fort, une caresse à Little Miss Fluffy !

Karoline said...

Beautiful top,congratulations

Good luck with end of term and the move

Shashi Nayagam said...

Oh it is gorgeous and just in case you didn't get my email. Wishing you once again a happy birthday.
All the best with the new flat you certainly deserve a big one with a working space of your own.

mochimo said...

This pullover is absolutely gorgeous, fantastic, wonderful!

Tany said...

I LOVE IT!!! I saved the pattern, and I might just make this top too!
You look amazing, my friend!

mermaids said...

that is simply gorgeous! it looks fabulous on you.

happy birthday!

magou17 said...

J'adore la forme de ce top, les manches, c'est superbe!!

Everlasting said...

Joyeux anniversaire!
Bravo pour ce superbe gilet tout en dentelle, il est magnifique.
Coup de coeur pour la jupe Simplicity 2655, j'ai acheté le patron...à suivre.
Bonne journée et bon courage pour le déménagement:)

Tracy said...

Hi, Isabelle! Hope you had a lovely birthday! Your lacey top for the occasion is BEAUTIFUL! Love those sleeves and the matte/shiny yarn. Congrats on your new flat--very exciting! Happy Days until your summer break! We're just back from 2-week visit with family & friends in the US. Glad to stop by and catch up with you! :o) ((HUGS))

Cennetta said...

Beautiful birthday gift to yourself.