Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Still not sewing, but not utterly fiberless (and useless)

Hello, everyone! :)

I, ah, still haven't touched a needle or pattern to speak of since last post. I've simply felt unable in the half-hour before bed to do anything requiring too much of a brain, and sewing sadly (or not) enters into this category.

The thing is, I'd feel dead inside without having some sort of creative outlet or other. One thing I've found I could manage in this short time before going to sleep, is crochet. It doesn't require much concentration once you've got going, and the designer pretty much figures everything out beforehand.

I started with an über-simple headband to get familiar with the basics.
I found the pattern on ravelry (where else?). The directions are here.
Basically, it's 3 rows of chain stitches, joined at both ends by single crochet stitches. It makes for a comfortable, hair-friendly headband. I love the look of headbands, but they inevitably end up giving me a headache.
Here's a totally unflattering picture with flash, to show the stitches better.

I'll share another, less modest project soon. Also in teal shades. I have a thing for jewel tones at the moment.

I love that I can watch a series episode and wield my crochet hook at the same time, while relaxing and feeling not utterly useless and overly "intellectual", you know?

The only gifts I managed to make this year are a birth set for my second nephew, who may be born any day now. He is not due until another 3 weeks, but his mother (my older sister) is exhausted, and everything seems to point out to an early birth.
I did manage to purchase most of my gifts from local craftsmen and Etsy, so my handmade pledge still holds good. ;)
I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
For now, I'm off to celebrate the holidays with my family. P'tite Mignonne and I are taking the train all the way across France tomorrow at 6 am.

There she is, striking the pose of the perfect Victorian cat:


I'll try and update once more before Christmas.
Happy Winter Solstice, everyone!

21 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

Happy Holidays dear Isabelle. Hope you can relax with your near and dear ones and get back refreshed. I too get headaches with head bands but you seem to have found perfect soloution to while away that half before bed time. Take care.

pinky said...

très jolie bande, la couleur éclaire ta chevelure (superbe d'ailleurs)

Joyeux noël à toi et prends bien soin de toi :)

jeannine said...

I love pictures of your kitty! She's beautiful! The headband is really nice, too. Have a great holiday with your family.

Vicki said...

No winter Solstic here I'm afraid - we are in for 38c today. Enjoy your break with the family. Merry Christmas :)

Nancy (nanflan) said...

Darling baby! She's like a cat model! Have a happy holiday.

Jennifer said...

What a lovely photo of P'tite Mignonne. The ironwork in the background certainly does add a Victorian flare to the photo. I love the headband. I too feel totally useless without a sewing project in my hands (or under the machine needle). It seems work/housework are simply not enough to feel that I have accomplished something with my day!

Shannon said...

Happy Holidays to you and P'tite Mignonne! I understand how life sometimes can keep us from doing some of the things we love. Hopefully things will settle down for you soon.

spinnakersu said...

Have a safe trip, and I hope you & P'tite Mignonne have a wonderful holiday.

I love the headband! I may have to try that one.

paco peralta said...

Joyeux Noël Isabelle. Mes meilleurs voeux pour les fêtes et pour la nouvelle année.

Cathy said...

Wish your sister well for me! I didn't know she was pregnant. How nice for Robin to have a little brother or sister, you must all be so excited! Merry Christmas, Isabelle!

Rose said...

Cute headband! Hope life does settle down a bit for you. Happy holidays to you and your beautiful P'tite Migonne!!

Karen said...

Happy holidays to you and your darling kitty. Have a wonderful visit with your family and congrats to you for finding a creative outlet to keep you happy for when you can't sew.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Very pretty headband.

Merry Christmas to you and your family! Have a wonderful Holiday.

mermaids said...

first, the cat is gorgeous!!! i love seeing photos of her.

i, too, have been doing a little crochet. i need to find some quick & easy projects. it would be a handy thing to have in my bag on days when i sub. last week, the students were watching a video in class... which meant i saw the same video five times in one day. crocheting little flowers helped make the day less arduous.

Anonymous said...

Joyeux Noel

bises

Doris

Summerset said...

Merry Christmas! The crochet projects are perfect for relaxing after a long day. That cat of yours is so beautiful, her coloring, eyes, fur, everything. You are fortunate to have each other.

equatorcollection said...

I can relate with the lack of time for sewing and the need for that bit of creative therapy in our lives. Hope things ease up for you soon.

Merry Christmas!

Susimac said...

Merry Christmas Isabelle

Hope you have a wonderful time

Hugs Su

Karoline said...

Merry Christmas Isabelle, I hope you all had a lovely time

deb said...

I also took the handmade pledge (without knowing there really was a pledge!) and made everything for gifts this year and am purchasing on etsy more than other sources. Your cat is beautiful, in a beautiful setting. I love when they sit like that with their tail curled around, so proud.

CelineSon said...

Tres joli !