Sunday, December 06, 2009

Concert Skirt

Hello, everyone :)

Thanks so very much for taking the time to comment despite my posts being so far and few between. I'm glad you liked my last outfit. I always thought skinny jeans were a big no-no for 5' shorties like me, but in the end they work out if I wear a small heel. :)

Thanks also for your very helpful suggestions regarding my previous top's shoulders falling down. I'm so sorry I forgot to thank you last time! They were much appreciated and very useful.

Since my last entry, I took a couple of evenings to sew my concert skirt - our first concert was last Sunday. Taking this break and getting reacquainted with fabric and my sewing machine did me a world of good. I wish I were able to do this every week!
(ETA: Elaray was asking what instrument I play... I sing soprano, and the concerts for which I need this full-length black skirt are those of my vocal ensemble.)


This is an über simple skirt really. Five panels, a waisband and a zipper. I made a lining but in the end chose not to add it because the skirt ended up so full on its own. The taffeta is truly lovely, it is slightly textured and really not that shiny in real life. It cost 5 euro a meter, and being so short I only needed 2 meters; this skirt cost a total of 11 euro to make with the zipper.
The pattern was one of the first I ever purchased, when I was into making corsets and got several patterns to compare shapes. It is McCall's 3853, now OOP. I was such a newbie at the time that I didn't even know my pattern size yet, and my pattern starts at a size 12. I'm a size 8 (6 at the back), so I graded the pattern down. Which was quite an easy task since this is all straight lines.

Silly, but wearing a long skirt does help boosting your confidence when performing.
Of course, the advantage of a skirt over a dress is that I'll be able to wear it all year round, changing the top (and tights) depending on where and when we sing.
I do plan on making another formal dress though, if only to wear to the solo concerts that'll be starting next year. Formal sewing is fun and rewarding!

(That wicker chest in the background used to be my nephew's former toys chest; I rescued it as my sister was about to throw it away ;). It stores most of my sewing notions. I figured a well-used chest would be wiser, as my kitty was bound to use it as a scratching pole! Definitely not as classy as the rest of the flat, but it is one of P'tite Mignonne's favourite spots, so I'm keeping it.)

Have a good Sunday, and a good week, y'all.

29 comments:

Elaray said...

You look very elegant in the skirt. What instrument do you play?

Isabelle said...

Sorry Elaray, I didn't realize I never mentionned this in the post. I edited my entry. I sing soprano, and the concerts for which I need this full-length black skirt are those of my vocal ensemble.
Thanks for the compliment!

Lisbei said...

Hello my dear friend !
Your formal skirt is really beautiful, you look splendid int it ! I think your concert was beautiful to the eyes as well as the ears of your public !
And Little Miss Fluffy is always the most pretty !
Have a nice sunday !

Digs said...

Beautiful skirt, a classic look. Love the way that taffeta pleats and folds.

equatorcollection said...

The skirt sits really beautifully on you. Wishing you great success and enjoyment in your upcoming concerts!

Tracy said...

WOW...that full skirt is soooo elegant and fine, Isabelle! I love the color, shine and there's nothing like a full skirt to feel feminine and girlie! It's sooo beautiful, and it looks terrific on you. Hope you enjoy the concerts soon--such fun! And fun to see Miss Cutie... I could rub her fluffy tummy! It was so great to hear from you during the weekend, my friend :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

Mary Beth said...

Hey, there you are and looking great as always! Isn't it wonderful how a really good fabric can just make the outfit so much easier to perfect? That's always a miracle to me and makes sewing so fun. Hope your concert went as wonderfully as you look in your new skirt.

Laura Gerencser said...

Lovely skirt!!!

valerie said...

Beautiful skirt! Perfect for performances...

ViRginiE said...

Waouh, elle est superbe!

Shashi Nayagam said...

That is a gorgeous dress Isabelle. Was it Christmas concert?

mermaids said...

gorgeous!!

Cennetta said...

You are beautifully photographed in your lovely skirt.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

You look beautiful in your gorgeous skirt! Hope the concerts went well!

Vicki W said...

Very elegant!

Kathi said...

Your concert skirt looks beautiful! Such a simple, yet elegant and flattering design! Bravo!!

Anne said...

Gosh, I want your hair!
Gorgeous skirt :)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That must be fun to wear! I bet it makes a nice swishy sound.

Reethi said...

Lovely skirt, and awwww... look at the little cat on the wicker chest... too cute!

Summerset said...

Elegant and perfect for concerts. The wicker is lovely and a nice sentimental touch.

mavalca said...

Coucou!!
Très très joli! Je ne savais pas que tu chantais! Tu retournes sur Paris pour faire tes concerts ou ça se passe dans le sud?
Je t'écrirais plus longuement pas mail, j'aurais quelques questions couture pour toi si tu as quelques minutes pour me répondre.
D'autre part pourrais tu m'envoyer ton adresse postale? les vœux approchent et j'aimerais t'envoyer une carte et un faire part...
Bisous ma belle, porte toi bien!
Marie

Lindsay T said...

Oui, très jolie! Me too, I love evening skirts for their versatility. So many more options with a skirt.

gwensews said...

Beautiful skirt. The lighting in your last photo is magnificient! That photograph looks like something out of Vogue.

Anna van Schurman said...

What does y'all sound like in a French accent? ;)

Sigrid said...

Great skirt, and love to read your posts, completely understand they are not very regular at the moment.

J Rae said...

Very pretty!

Catherine said...

You look so smart,Isabelle, wow!

Jennifer said...

I wish I had an occasion to wear formal-wear. I love this skirt. You will be the star of the concert....if kitty does not upstage you.

She Says said...

Totally glam!