Monday, November 02, 2009

New Look 6470, Takes 4 and 5

Hello, everyone!

The following projects are probably from late September. I can't remember exactly. My brain is sometimes turned to mush because of overworking. That is the case at the moment.

NewLook 6470, views A & E
The top tends to fall off from the shoulder a little. I need to figure a way to attach the shoulders to my bra straps. What's the neatest way to do this, do you think?
Here is a better picture of the skirt, from the same pattern.
Thanks to Julie for the picture! :)
(Coincidentally, the purple top shown above was made using the same pattern envelope a year ago.)

I made this skirt because I really don't have enough, and I needed a quick project.
I really like the flounce; I really don't like the elastic at the waist. A zipper would have been much neater and given a smoother waist line; but I didn't have time to alter the pattern, and I needed my sewing fix, quick.
I do like the skirt, nonetheless. I've worn this exact outfit to work (with the addition of a little make-up. The picture was taken on a laid-back, no-make-up Sunday).

I've never used a pattern that much before. Here are creations 1, 2, and 3 from this pattern. Creations 4 & 5 are above.

Oh! Here are pictures of the whole outfit that also show the sofa cover I made back in August. The landlady left a stunning leather sofa in the flat, and I made a cover for it within a week of my moving in - I was so scared of P'tite Mignonne using the tantalizing surface to sharpen her claws.

The fabric is from Ikea. I was missing about a metre, so the cover is not as well finished as I would like. Still, I'm pretty happy with it - and light grey/cream cat hair doesn't show on it! (the flat is decorated in black and white with red accents, but a black cover just wasn't an option with the furlady gracing this place.)


I believe I only have one project left in the backlog. Haven't sewn in weeks, and it sucks!

Hope you guys are all doing well and have more time to sew than I do.

25 comments:

Mountain Thyme said...

When I had the same problem in the dress I wore for my daughters wedding, the shop put a tee-niney little like loop with a tee-niney little snap on one side. The other side was sewn into the lining fabric. It was so little. Worked, too.

pinky said...

J'adore l'effet de la manche du top bleu.
Normalement je finalise cette semaine mon nouveau coin couture toulousaine youhou !!

verobirdie said...

Lovely tops and skirt.
Dans un des derniers Vogue Patterns magazines, ils expliquaient comment poser une attache pour éviter que les manches tombent, comme Mountain Thyme l'explique. ou
http://sewing.about.com/od/adultclothingprojects/a/brastraphlder.htm

Jennifer said...

The sofa cover looks lovely. I have been searching for inspiration to re-cover my very old furniture and give our house a new look. Of course the addition of a sweet and gorgeous kitty makes your sofa even more special!

Summerset said...

Very pretty pieces. You can make lingerie carriers from narrow ribbon and small snaps. Just sew one end of the ribbon to the seam allowance in the right place and add one half of the snap to the ribbon. Then sew the other half of the snap to the seam allowance the same distance away as the length of the ribbon.

What a smart and cozy choice for the sofa - everybody is happy - you, landlady and of course, Miss Cutie.

spinnakersu said...

The skirt & top are both beautiful. I love the colour of the top!

I'm going to try to find fabric to match my cats now too! It would help if they were all the samce shades, but still.... :)

Lilian said...

I absolutely adore your blog, you make such beautiful things. These tops and skirt are beautiful as well.
I always use small safety pins that I pin through the seam-allowance at the shoulder, and then when you are dressed, you can open the safety pin (which is upside down), lay your bra strap in the pin, and close it. Works for me and easy to remove.
Please give a warm cuddle to P'tite Mignonne for me.

mermaids said...

well, others have already responded to the shoulder issue, so i will simply add "gorgeous!!!"

Sue said...

You have got good use out of that pattern and built a nice wardrobe from it. The elastic waisted skirt is comfy to wear so it is good to have one in the wardrobe. All the outfits look lovely.

Eugenia said...

Those outfits are really nice. I love the tops - great colours - and the skirt is a beautiful shape, it suits you very well.

marysews said...

I like all the garment pieces you made from this pattern.

When my tops start to fall off my shoulders, I realize I cut the neck and shoulders too large. I usually cut out a smaller size through there, and larger below there.

Shashi Nayagam said...

That skirt and the blouses look wonderful and very graceful.

equatorcollection said...

Lovely blue and bell sleeves. Didn't realise the skirt and top came from the same pattern at first. Both look fabulous together.

Ah, sofa cover. I've been meaning to make some for a long time but never getting around to it. Yours is lovely and fits well into the decor. P'tite Mignonne looks like she approves.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I love that with the sleeves! Lingerie carriers with snaps are supposed to be the best for bra straps. Of course, I usually just use safety pins to the seam allowance, LOL.

And I have had no time to sew either and it SUCKS.

Anonymous said...

Here is an address you can paste into your browser which details the process of making lingerie guards:

http://www.sewnews.com/articles/sew_professional_june_july_08

You've gotten so much use out of that pattern! And no wonder, as it's all very flattering on you.

SherryV

gwensews said...

Beautiful outfits. Was it just by chance that your purple top happened to match your vase?

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

These are some really pretty pieces! I agree with the not having time to sew sucks...hope you are able to free up some time soon!!!

Lindsay T said...

You look lovely in those pieces. Nice to see P'tite Mignonne again!

Director of Quality Life said...

Very nice outfit. I love your rendition of this pattern used several different ways.

Nancy K said...

Lovely outfits. You've already gotten the lingerie stay advice. I like to make them with a thread chain for a light top like this. That and you don't need to have the narrow ribbon on hand.

mem said...

you could add a stay of elastic or fabric running from one back slleve seam to the other and sitting under the neck facing at the back.Its looks great.

Linda said...

I am not sure how I lost your blog from my bloglist, but I have found it again. Glad I did, enjoyed catching up on the garments you have made. Love the New Look top and skirt.

J Rae said...

I love the outfit! The blue blouse is very pretty. Maybe a tiny button with a loop to go under your bra strap.

Sofa cover turned out great!

Felicity said...

Pretty pictures, gorgeous smile and happy birthday to Robin who must be about to turn 3 years old. Time flies!

Felicity said...

Great pics, gorgeous smile and happy birthday to Robin!