Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A tunic top from eons ago...

Oh dear, this life of mine is turning out to be insane. My only time off is one hour on Wednesdays for my singing class, and late Thursday nights for vocal ensemble. If I didn't love my job so much, and if it wasn't so incredibly rewarding, I would totally lose it right now.

You guys have probably guessed by now what the main problem is: I haven't touched my sewing machine since Julie came to visit in early October, and this totally sucks!
Here's a tunic I made when she was there. I totally forgot I hadn't photographed it yet, and as I was wearing it today, I snapped a couple of pictures while the sun was out.
This is Onion 2017. I used this pattern once before, for a shorter version. The Japonaiseries top is one of my favourite casual tops to wear, so this pattern was definitely worth re-using.

What I like about this top is that the pattern is casual, but the fabric is classy enough to keep this wearable pretty much anywhere.
I love dressing in black and white. The contrast between my skin tone and my hair somehow inspires me to play with high contrasts in my choice of colours, too.

Here is another picture that shows the whole outfit better (the pants are purchased):


That's all for now, friends - I gotta go again.

I shall have to get sewing pretty soon, as my ensemble has a few concerts upcoming and I need a long black skirt.
Oh, and I've started to teach myself crochet to help my brain disconnect from work mode before I go to sleep. Making a couple of rows every night really helps to wind down. So you'll get to see the results occasionally. ;)

Take care! Happy Thanksgiving to my American readers - and happy everything to everybody. :)

24 comments:

neighbourhood.gal said...

Really lovely tunic.

meredithp said...

Glad you're enjoying your job, otherwise...

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

A very lovely top and outfit. I love the print.

Amanda S. said...

Okay, LOVE that tunic! It looks wonderful paired with your skinny black pants and heals. Sorry you're so busy, but very glad you have a job you enjoy.

knitsnwovens said...

Oh, that's beautiful! I think you just changed my mind about being a tunic-skinny-pants kinda girl - I'll convert for that outfit!

Teddylyn said...

This is really cute--and it looks quite sophisticated! Very stylish. Enjoy the chaos of your job and activities--being productively busy is a wonderful thing!

Lynda in LV

Lori said...

Great tunic, I have this pattern and I agree it is a great one. Hope you get back to your machines soon.

Vicki said...

The contrast levels do look so good on you. Fabulous outfit!

Nancy (nanflan) said...

I like the tunic, and it would make a nice dress too if you lengthened it a bit.

senaSews said...

Great top! I like it with the skinny pants!

pinky said...

Happy everything too !!!

Ces derniers temps, je m'occupe des doublures de mes vestes... exit le synthétique, je les refais en coton et c'est beaucoup plus confortable.

Je m'exerce à coudre le cuir, étant à côté du Tarn c'est très facile de trouver de jolies peaux tannées sans métaux lourds en plus

Summerset said...

LOVE IT! I agree about the contrasts - it is such a striking look. You look wonderful and I love how you styled it with the skinny trousers.

Jennifer said...

The contrasting colors do look lovely! This style makes you look extremely tall. I might have to try this for myself.

KateS said...

Beautiful top, LOVE the fabric choice- looks very stylish and versatile!!!

anneke said...

just love the outfit!

Catherine said...

Cette tunique te va très bien, Isabelle! Hugs!

Nancy K said...

I love this too, and I also love black and white. Need to take a look at the Onion website for this.

sylcaron said...

J'aime beaucoup moi aussi le noir et le blanc. Votre tunique est très jolie. Bravo!

Lisette M said...

Really pretty tunic, you look wonderful!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very chic! I can't pull off the longer tunic with pants but it looks fab on you!

Tracy said...

Your life sounds crazy, but good, Isabelle! This long tunic is lovely--that fabric is terrific. Thank you for the thanksgiving wishes. Now the run-up to Christmas... Enjoy! Happy Days, my friend :o) ((HUGS))

Lindsay T said...

I love this tunic on you and how you styled it. Very fresh.

Gina E. said...

Love black and white over black - looks great on you, Isabelle! I just showed my hubby the photo of you holding Kitty with the comment 'no garment is complete without kitty fluff' and he smiled. He's a cat lover too!

Dakota said...

Lovely! Your sewing is so inspiring.

I wanted to mention that there's lots of free crochet patterns on the Lion's Brand website that are pretty good. I've been making the little stuffed animals recently - they're simple and fun to make and can be finished in a few hours.