Monday, October 05, 2009

The Summer Into Autumn Dress

Back in the day when I used to do embroidery, one of my favourite designs was Summer into Autumn, by the Drawn Thread. I loved everything about it - the rich colours, the threads used, the texture of the specialty stitches. But most of all the colours.
(I miss stitching, but the days are just too short, and stitching does not fit in with my current activities anymore. I used to stitch in front of English-speaking TV series. Maybe some day the right time will come again - days are short, but hopefully life is long :) )

When I first tried this dress on, I was instantly reminded of the above-mentioned design.

Simplicity 3678, with optional kitty
(Funnily enough, the dress also matches the beautiful mosaic of the flat's tiled floor.)

I wanted a dress that I could wear to work. A dress that was both fit for the summer weather that's been going on and on down here, but that still felt autumnal and hence constituted "back-to-work" material to my poor, North-oriented, psychorigid mind. ;)
The fabric comes from Boeken's in Amsterdam. I bought it a year ago, on my last stay there - it was beautiful, high quality (this dress only uses 1.5 meter but probably cost 18 euros to make), and therefore stayed in my stash long enough for inspiration to strike and for me to gain confidence in cutting into the fabric. Karen just wrote a great post about this exact feeling.

I used this pattern almost two years ago. Funny how changes in the length, sleeves, neckline and the overall outfit make the two versions utterly different.
The pattern once again came together easily and beautifully. This is from the Threads collection, so extra attention was paid to details. I still hold by my review of the first version.
My only change was the addition of a back tie to help cinch the dress a bit.
I hemmed the dress by hand with an invisible stitch. I love the way it makes the hemline hang - not just visually, but also in the way the dresses falls on me.

Oh, and just as for the maxi dress - here is a picnic pic :)

It is better to see these clothes in action than just see me standing uneasily still in front of a tripod, isn't it? ;)

Have a good week, everyone. :)

32 comments:

Kathryn said...

Actually it is the matching sandals that make this outfit very special (though the fabric is beautiful). Bravo!

Jenni said...

Such a beautiful dress. I adore the fabric on you, and the pattern placement is so perfect. It is lovely to see you enjoying the dress in the sunshine on your picnic.

Amanda S. said...

It's gorgeous! I LOVE that fabric also. You are right, it's the perfect summer to fall transition dress. Great job!

Lori said...

Very pretty dress, the fabric is fantastic.

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

Your dress fits you beautifully, and the design and fabric is gorgeous. You are right in that it matches the crossstitch project perfectly.

Teddylyn said...

Very cute dress and I love the colors of your fabric! I bet you will get a lot of use from a dress like that in your new locale.

Thanks for sharing your new projects!

Lynda in LV

Erica B. said...

That's a great looking dress!

Shannon said...

What a wonderfully flattering dress!

Summerset said...

What a great transitional dress! Enjoy those lovely warm days and picnics.

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Lovely dress and great print.

Kyle said...

The dress is cute and those sandals with the flowers definitely rock!!

gwensews said...

Absolutely beautiful. The dress is fabulous on you.

Vicki W said...

Great dress!

Vicki said...

Very nice dress. The picnic shot is lovely :)

Lisbei said...

Hello ma chère amie !
Ta robe est tout simplement splendide ! J'espère que ta rentrée s'est bien passée.
Mille baisers !

Lisette M said...

This version of the pattern is beautiful. The color and the fit perfect on you, the neckline really looks pretty.
I have the long sleeve version of this dress in the muslin stage, I need to get it done!

Cathy said...

I love looking at your sewing, Isabelle, but I'm happy that yours was one of the first stitching blogs I ever found. I feel like I've found such a great friend in you, although we've never met, and I often refer to you as my friend in conversation. I love everything about this dress! It lays just right on you and I love the pattern in the fabric. Great job, as always.

Tracy said...

Yes, it is fun to see the clothes in action, Isabelle! ;o) Just love this dress...everything about it is very flattering--and love the bold print of the fabric. Your adding a tie in the back is a great idea. Simply beautiful! Do hope you find your way back to embroidery stitching one day. :o) ((HUGS))

Lindsay T said...

Very lovely dress on you! Moi aussi, I love to embroider but find I have no time for it anymore.

Gina E. said...

Both fabric and style of this dress are stunning! But optional kitty is perfect...how cute is that!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very pretty! The fabric is gorgeous, I can see why you waited for the perfect fabric but I'm glad you found the courage to cut into it!

Su said...

The dress is very pretty!! I have a weakness for the "optional cat", too. :)

Nancy K said...

What a beautiful dress with a great combination of pattern and fabric. I also love the previous black dress. Makes you look fatter? You must be kidding, you look spectacular in it.

Stephanie Newman said...

Another chic dress! How do you do it? Love the fabric, love the pattern. Its great seeing what others across the globe are making.

mochimo said...

Another wonderful dress!
Your "days are short, but hopefully life is long" came at the right time for me. Lately I'm missing my many hobbies a lot but I seem unable to find the time for anything except work and family (and a bit of sewing, as it is the most recent hobby). But, yes, hopefully life is long... :-)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful dress! You look GORGEOUS! Ann

equatorcollection said...

Gorgeous dress and great use of that special fabric!

Jennifer said...

Wow, you cross-stitch too! Amazing work. Love the dress. Those colors are right to my taste. I could almost want it to be Autumn all year long. This is my favorite season.

Margaret said...

What a lovely dress Isabelle. Glad to see you are doing well and enjoying your new home and job.

hugs, Margaret

Karen said...

That fabric was just waitingn around for you to decide to use that pattern with it, it's obvious. A beautiful result, and I love the picnic shots - always nice to see the dresses in action.

J Rae said...

Wow! What great thinking on the top. It came out great with the layering.

Love the dress! The sandals are a perfect match for it.

Your stitching is beautiful! Maybe one day you will have more time to do more. Drawn Thread is a great designer!

Felicity said...

Hello from Paris, Isabelle. I'm here for a month. This is my absolute favourite item that you have EVER made. I love it!!!