Monday, September 21, 2009

Vogue 8571 - the Navy Floral Dress

Hello, hello, everyone!

Thank you for your warm welcome back to the blogosphere! I've missed you all. I've started visiting your blogs and I've been loving all the wonderful creations you've been up to! I still have a looong list to go through, though. :)

Welcome to my new commenters as well! It's always nice and encouraging to see that people enjoy this blog.

I've been obviously quite busy with my new job starting, but I had written a few pattern reviews beforehand, so I can still update this blog on what should finally be a more regular basis. (Oh, and some time I shall put my act together and do a massive update on Pattern Review, too... I've been terribly remiss at posting my reviews up there.)

Today, here is Vogue 8571, a cute and casual little knit dress.

I was into making an easy, lightweight dress to wear during the dog days of summer (temperatures here in Montpellier reach easily 35°C (95°F) and above during the July and August).
The pattern was quite new, but the fabric had been sleeping in my stash for a few years.
As expected from the pattern lines, the dress came together easily and quickly. The only trouble that needed fixing was that the dress wasn't fitted enough for my taste, so I took in 1.5 cm (5/8") at each side seams.

I purchased this pattern for its shirred bodice – and I found it interesting that the shirring was both at the front and at the back. I like the look of the slightly pouffy back contrasted with a close-fitting waist.
I don't think the dress was intended to be this close-fitting at the waist, but at 5' (154 cm) I'm too small to pull anything threatening to look even remotely tent-like.

As you can see, I used a contrasting fabric for the neck band, and I don't regret this choice. It gives the dress a crisper look in my opinion – a bit of an edge.

The only other change was the hem - I did a rolled hem on my serger.

Let me tell you, this has been worn and washed a whole lot over the past two months.

Have a good week, everyone!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's absolutely beautiful Isabelle! glad you are back. Ann

karenv said...

What a pretty, crisp little dress Isabelle :) I'm not surprised you're wearing it so much, it's lovely.

Glad that you're settling in to your new job OK and that you now have Internet access. I'd love it if you could drop me an email with your new address when you get a minute :)

mermaids said...

this pattern caught my eye too. looks so comfortable to wear, but still so stylish. contrasting neckband was definitely a good idea

Tini said...

cute dress! WOW 35°C and more. I bet this has saved your sanity often (since going out in a bathing suit is never good idea ;) if you are me ;) )

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Very stylish and great choice of fabric. It looks very fresh.

Summerset said...

What a perfect little dress for hot weather! You look cool and put together. Glad you're enjoying the new location and start of a new term!

Karen said...

Very cute. The best thing about your long absence is that we will (hopefully) get to see a lot of projects that you haven't been able to review.

Laura Gerencser said...

Love this! Looks great on you!! And the collar makes it look much better! I've been thinking about making this one! Thanks for the review!

Amanda S. said...

Very nice! I love the contrasting white for the neck band.

mainely stitching said...

What an adorable summer dress!!

Yulwen said...

Coucou,
Désolée je suis trop fatiguée pour écrire en anglais ;)
Cette robe est très jolie et je pense que tu as eu raison de faire l'encolure contrastante :)
J'ai hâte de la voir "en vrai".
Gros bisous.
A tout bientôt.

Lindsay T said...

Oui, cette robe est très jolie. Moi aussi, j'adore l'encolure contrastante.

Kathryn said...

The most important thing about hot weather clothing is that is needs to be comfortable. But of course, if you are making it, it will also be stylish. The tapered waist and the crisp white band make this a super summer dress. I'm glad you are enjoying your new abode.

shakatak66 said...

It's great to see you returning to blogging again ... you've been missed! {{hugs}}

marysews said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere! I want that dress - alas, it is much too small for me ...

Vicki W said...

What a cute dress!

Lori said...

Great dress, you look fantastic. I madee this dress and it is one of my favotites.

LindaNan said...

so glad you are back!

Linda

Shashi Nayagam said...

That is a very cute dress Isabelle and you did the right thing by making the neck in a contrast colour. It brings out the beauty of the printed fabric.

equatorcollection said...

Chic summer dress! Like your trim version. The contrast band is an inspired choice. I seem to be liking the pouffy top plus cinched waist look myself these days. But my pouffy tops are a result of untidily wearing my blouses tucked in, lol! - Jali

gwensews said...

Very cute dress. Looks like great summer attire.

Jennifer said...

This is a wonderful dress. I love the idea of the contrasting neckline. Great work!

Ingrid said...

Hi Isabelle,
Hi, I've been lurking for a while. Just thought I'd let you know how much I love your blog and your lovely creations, reading about other people's sewing is really inspiring for me. I also love your cat, I have two at home, one of whom loves to "help" me with my sewing by lying on all my stuff.
Ciao, Ingrid from Australia

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Beautiful dress and I can see why it's a favorite!

Su said...

I love the line of this dress, and I think the contrast makes it a bit more stylish and feminine.

levelek said...

Lovely! I don't think it overwhelms your frame at all. And great choice of Ficcare to go with it ;)