Friday, August 14, 2009

The Interview Jacket - McCall's 5477

Hello, everyone!

Thank you so much for your response to my last news. I still haven't got the Internet in my new home, and getting all of your comments at once was quite overwhelming - in a good way. Thank you!

Things are good here, albeit hot - and although Orange has been royally messing up with my phone connection - not once, not twice, but THREE times. For now. If things go well I may have the Internet by the middle of next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ms Cutie was an absolute trooper during the trip - as long as she could be on my lap, she slept. She loves her new flat.

I've been busy settling in and preparing for my new job, but have also started sewing again. No home feels like home until you've started sewing in it - don't you think? For the first time since I started sewing, I have a comfortable space to sew and organize my stash, and it's been wonderful. It's amazing how more efficient you can be when you actually have enough room for your hobby!

Before moving on to my latest projects, though, I felt I had to start with the jacket I made back in May.

McCall's 5477 - view B
I made this jacket for the interview that got me my new post. The outfit I'm wearing in the pictures is the replica of what I wore to the interview, up to the hair - minus the purple nail polish. I wore an understated mother-of-pearl shade to the interview. (Pity my face would not cooperate. I look so wan in these pictures).
I made view B (three-quarter sleeves) in a burgundy/black wrinkled poly. The hand is similar to taffeta, but thicker than the usual stuff.
The fabric is moiré (the burgundy thread is interwoven with black), and therefore very hard to photograph. The pictures absolutely do not do it justice, and make the jacket look far shinier than it actually is. The sheen is very subtle IRL.

I made the jacket a few months ago, and then was swept up in the whirlwind of end-of-year work related to my previous post, combined with the taking up of my new job. As a consequence, I don't remember all the construction details.
What I do remember, however, is that this was an excellent pattern, with nice finishing details and good instructions. Making this jacket was time-consuming and at times challenging, but well worth the effort.

Unfortunately you can't see the lines well because of the sheen, but this pattern got me interested in the first place me because of the unusual construction - neither darts, nor princess seams, but curves and gathers that emphasize the waist, both at the back and at the front. Here is a very small picture from Mccall's website:
Hmm, I should probably photograph the jacket on my dressform to have more control over what the camera captures.
I lined the jacket with China silk. Too bad I didn't press it before making the shoots. Oh well.

I'm usually more of a Vogue seamstress when it comes to the Big 4, but this got me all interested in McCall's patterns again. Not that they offer that many styles that I like; but I believe their jacket designs are often better than the rest of their collections. I'd like to make another of their jackets for the beginning of the academic year.

The dress is New Look 6643, which I made two years ago. Still one of my favourite dresses - I always feel confident in it.


I have quite a backlog of projects to post : Butterick 5032, Vogue 8571 (this is what P'tite Mignonne is lounging on in the picture opening this post), a reconstruction of New Look 6557, and a maxi dress, Simplicity 3803 (apparently not on the Simplicity website anymore). Oh, and a slipcover for the sofa. I just couldn't face the risk of P'tite Mignonne using the beautiful skai sofa as a scratchpole.

I have a few projects lined up, too; and just placed an order for more (5!) dress patterns. The climate here demands that dresses be worn day in, day out, and I can never have enough of them right now.

So long, everyone - I'm not sure when I can post again, and cannot imagine how much I'll have to catch up on when I get back to everyone's blogs! I guess you ladies will make me go into inspiration overload.
Thanks again for your warm response to my last post!

44 comments:

Summerset said...

So nice to see you and hear you and the lovely kitty are getting settled!

The jacket is marvelous. It is perfect for you in every way: color, fabric, style, fit. You look beautifully put together and confident.

Adrienne said...

Simply gorgeous!!!!!

Shannon said...

Beautiful outfit! Glad you're settled in and ready to sew!

Rose said...

Glad to hear you and P'tite Mignonne are settling in. The jacket is awesome!

Vicki said...

Good to hear you have more space for sewing. The jacket is lovely. Suits you perfectly.

Lori said...

Great jacket and dress, so happy you are sewing again.

Erica B. said...

Beautiful outfit!

mermaids said...

gorgeous! a good sewing space makes such a difference. can't wait to see what you make next

Amanda S. said...

You're back! Beautiful jacket. I love the design and the color. I don't remember ever seeing this design before, but now I've got to have it. I, too, love interesting construction details. I can't wait to see all you have to post. :)

Tracy said...

Hi, Isabelle! So glad you & Ms Cutie are settling in nicely in your new place and looking forward to your new work. Do hope you get the phone/internet sorted out--not fun that--LOL! That jacket surely clinched the deal for you getting that new job post--LOL! ;o) The jacket is GORGEOUS!! I love the color and shine of that fabric. The pattern works so well for that fabric, I think. Thanks for sharing. Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Arlene said...

Welcome back! The dress and jacket are gorgeous! Hope to see more of you soon!

Cathy said...

The jacket is very flattering. I often have difficulty finding jackets that fit properly because of my size. Most are cut for taller ladies, so making one would be ideal. I wish I had more time to sew!

Laura Gerencser said...

Glad to hear from you! Love that jacket! Looks great on you!!!

Christina said...

Hm, I'll keep that pattern in mind the next time I have a job interview! (which is no time soon, I hope). I agree that McCalls has great jacket patterns. Have fun getting settled in to your new home :)

Catherine said...

Allo Isabelle! Je suis tellement contente d'avoir de tes nouvelles. Bienvenue dans ton nouveau chez toi. Je suis bien d'accord qu'une maison n'est pas sienne tant qu'on n'a pas cousu à l'intérieur. Ni frotté quelques planchers et ciré quelques boiseries. Le veston est splendide et il te va comme un gant. Vraiment parfait pour une entrevue. Bonne chance pour ton début d'année scolaire. Je suis certaine que tu seras excellente.

Karoline said...

Glad to hear you're both settling in well. The dress and the jacket are gorgeous.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Dear Isabelle, funny there I go again. I was thinking of you yesterday and you posted today. Not that I don't think of you often. Must be some kind of telepathy. It is good to know that you are settling down well there and so is Ms Cutie. Your dress as always is beautiful and the Jacket is so chic looking. You have magic fingers my dear. Hope your internet will be connected soon.
Look forward to hearing from your end more often soon.
hugs

Lisbei said...

Hello ma chère Isa !
Bienvenue dans le sud de la France ! Tu dois avoir chaud, aux infos d'aujourd'hui le pic de température était pour Nîmes ... Je te fais de gros bisous et espère que ton emménagement se passe bien !

Vicki W said...

The jacket looks great! It fits perfect and the color of the fabric is lovely.

Karen said...

Isabelle, if you don't have internet, it just gives you more time for sewing! You'll catch up eventually, and in the meantime, you and Miss Kitty have time to bond over fabric.

When you do get back online and get a chance, please email me your new address - I have a piece of fabric that I think would suit you. It's more spring/summer, but as you said, you have a place for stash now, so it can lounge on the shelves for a few months.

Congrats on settling in so well, you and P'tit both look happy.

Rachel said...

I have that jacket pattern and plan to make it out of either finewale corduroy or velvet. You did such a fantastic job on it. I love the fabric you chose!!!

gwensews said...

So happy to see you posting again. I hope you are happy and doing well. The jacket is absolutely fabulous. I have that pattern, unsewn as yet.

Good luck with your new job and new living quarters. Keep sewing and post when you can.

Artist...Lesbian...Someone new... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Very nice! I have been looking for an interview jacket, myself, so I believe I'll try this one now! I love the fabric you chose, too!

Jennifer/OH said...

Beautiful jacket and great workmanship! I also love the shoes you've chosen to go with this outfit. The fabric of the jacket is amazing! I have made a similar jacket style for one of my 16" dolls...the ruffled/gathered wasteline. Difficult to master at first, but I love the results.
I too can not live anywhere without my sewing machine. We have moved 5 times of the past 20 years and each time it is the LAST item to be put on to the moving truck and the FIRST item to be unpacked!

equatorcollection said...

Its great to see you sewing and writing about it again. The jacket is beautiful and its a really unique style. I believe you will have lovely memories of getting your new job with this elegant jacket (and dress too).

Director of Quality Life said...

Very nice jacket! I love it with the black dress. Way to go on your new professorship. Glad to hear that Miss Kitty is doing so well also.

Judith said...

I am happy that you are settled in and I love your jacket very much.

Tany said...

So chic and elegant!! You look stunning! It's nice to hear from you again, dear friend! Keep up the good work!

Big hug!

Christine said...

Your jacket is beautiful. Good luck with your new job

Miaaa said...

Tu as mis le doigt exactement sur ce que je ressentais sans pouvoir l'exprimer : on ne se sent vraiment chez soi quelque part qu'après avoir investi le lieu avec notre passion/vice habituel (couture, dessin, ou autre ;-)
Je suis ravie d'apprendre ton nouveau départ et ravie que tu te sentes à nouveau chez toi.
J'en profite pour te féliciter de l'obtention de ta place de maître de conf, vu les restrictions actuelles c'est doublement méritoire, encore bravo et bon début !
Je ne te croiserai donc pas à Paris, lisant ton blog depuis longtemps, j'ai l'impression trompeuse, de te connaître, amusant, non ?!
A plus, Miaaa
PS : maintenant, en plus de ma fille, mon bébé aussi s'intéresse et commente les photos de Petite Mignone ;-)

Lisette M said...

Beautiful jacket, you looked great for your interview. I'm glad you are settling in and that you can sew comfortably again.

Margaret said...

What a lovely jacket Isabelle.

It is wonderful to hear that you are settling into your new home and job.

Wishing you all the best as you begin on this new chapter of your life.

hugs, Margaret

Ally said...

Well of course you got the job in that wonderful jacket!!! Glad to hear that P'tite Mignonne likes her new flat, does she purr with a Southern accent yet?

Pam~Off The Cuff ~ said...

What a fabulous jacket...beautiful!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Ooooh, that jacket is gorgeous! You are making me want that pattern...

anneke said...

I'm not into sewing that much, but you look gorgeous in everything you made and make.

I hope you'll settle in allright in Montpellier with ms cutie. We were there in the same region as you moved to the South of France. Strange idea, but we are back north again.
Good luck on your new job, it must be pretty busy and hard to get things on the road again.

Mimi Jackson said...

I love, Love, LOVE that jacket!

Nancy K said...

Glad to see you back again and congratulations on your great new job. The jacket is fabulous, and a really fabulous color. In fact I just bought a piece of fabric in th exact same color. Dresses really are so easy and comfortable in hot.

tagskie said...

hi.. just dropping by here... have a nice day! http://kantahanan.blogspot.com/

J Rae said...

Gorgeous jacket!!! Love the dress as well.

Sandy said...

I love the jacket, it's look very detrailed. I'm not much of a sewer, do better with my crochet hook or knitting needles.

Good luck with the new space, and the internet. I know how lost I would feel without it.

It's been forever since we've chatted. Not how we lost touch, but am having some fun going back through some old post finding people and hoping to re-connect.

Swing by when you can.
Sandy

tcarole said...

I just found your blog and saw this jacket and I just LOVE it. It's stunning - the color, the fit, the construction. Really looks beautiful on you. I liked it so much I had to go buy it immediately. It's out of print so I found it on ebay for less than $5 (including postage) so I think that's a good sign that I was meant to make this jacket. Thanks for the inspiration! (Oh, and your kitty is just precious. I have 3! I'm crazy.)

Anonymous said...

HI, Very nice job on the jacket. You do not know me but I too am making this jacket...HOWEVER! I lost pattern piece number 8 and wondered if you might possibly scan and sent it to me....Gladly pay for your time but the pattern is no longer available in my town!
moontwice@aol.com