Friday, January 16, 2009

Bits and Bobs

Thanks everyone for the warm wishes and for welcoming me to my new home! :)

It's been a little while, as I'm slowly getting organized around a different living pattern. We're not quite settled yet, but we're getting there. My sewing room/office is now almost completely ready, and it's looking fabulous!

Did I mention that the flat is 5 minutes away from a fabric shop? I positively squealed when we happened upon it on one of our first exploratory rounds. Squealed, leaped - and turned away, so as not to be tempted.
Here's the thing. Since the move, I've been repeating to myself that I will not shop for new fabric until my stash has significantly diminished. I am so ashamed of these 3 boxes of fabric that I insisted had to come with us. (The saucepans? Nah, these could stay in France. Chairs? Who needs chairs when they can have fabric? It was bad enough that I had to leave most of my beloved books, my Burdas, and my treasured box of embroideries at my parents. I had to have my fabrics at least!) The other day, however, Seb told me in earnest:
"You know, I really don't have a problem with your fabric stash."
I nearly fell over. At which he elaborated:
"You need your stash to be creative; you need to be creative to be happy. Stop feeling guilty about it! I'm happy it makes you happy."
Merci, Seb. I'll try feeling less guilty. But I'll also do my best and sew up all these gorgeous knits I bought in Amsterdam and haven't been using yet, because, you know, they're too pretty to cut out!

Seb is thus constantly nudging me to visit this place of temptation. Which I have, of course. ... Three or four times already? (how can I help myself? I walk past the shop so often.) The shop is small, but they have a very nice and varied selection; the prices are much better than in Paris; and the staff is friendly and helpful.

Now, a confession: I did buy a little fabric, to make myself a coat. See, I have a very warm long coat for when it's really cold (bought 10 years ago, of the indestructible sort); an unlined wool coat and a lined coat/jacket that are perfect for most winter days in Paris. I have nothing, however, for when it's not totally freezing, yet when the cold London wind makes my lighter coat and jacket bitterly insufficient (you don't get much wind at all in Paris.)
Pattern will be Vogue 8346; I'll be making View D (pictured in white on the envelope). In a deep aubergine wool-mohair-alpaca mix! Haven't got lining for it yet. Something a bit funky would be nice. I love the contrasting lining of my ruby-turquoise coat; but I want something even more fun this time. This is what meeting Trena will do to you. She was wearing this coat when we last met, and it was one of the most brilliantly (both figuratively and literally) contrasting linings I've ever seen.

Still can't get over the fact I have a sewing room/office that is all my own.
For that matter, I still can't get over the fact that I am living in London. I mean, friends, is this all for real? Anyone pinch me?

25 comments:

Little Cat said...

Hi Isabelle. I'm glad you're 'nearly' settled :o) How perfect for you that there's a fabric shop so close. That was lucky.

mermaids said...

glad you are getting settled. it is fate that brought you to the apartment so close to a fabric shop.

seb sounds like a good guy. he understands the magic of fabric. my dh actually shops for fabric when he travels for work. really good guy.

Cathy said...

How nice of Seb to be so supportive! I love when Rob says things like that to me. I've never been to England. Do you two have plans to travel around the country at all? You must be able to get fabulous tea there!

Vicki W said...

A perfect sewing room in a London flat and a partner that understands your needs - it doesn't get better than that!

Kathryn said...

A sewing space of your own! How fabulous. And in London, my favorite city right after Paris. I hesitate to say how much fabric I have in how many boxes, but the number is not close to three. I am so happy for you and Seb. A great move and you are together again! Can't wait to see what fabulous things come out of your workroom.

Vicki said...

Sounds dangerous with a fabric show around the corner and a husband who is an enabler! Nice coat pattern too.

Nancy (nanflan) said...

How nice that you're getting settled in the new flat. I think it's a good sign that you have a fabric store nearby. No guilt about 3 boxes of fabric...if only I had such a small amount!

Sharon said...

Isabelle, that man is a definite keeper! How sweet. Looking forward to seeing the new coat take shape.

Lennu said...

It's great to hear that all is going well :) Je me souviens quand nous avons habité en France, j'ai vraiment pensé si c'est vrai :) Quand je suis allée à Paris pour acheter les tissus au Marche St Pierre, j'ai eté toujours souriante - j'habite vraiment ici! Bonne aventure à Londres!

Sigrid said...

Hi Isabelle, good to hear everything is going so well. Look forward to your coat.

ViRginiE said...

Rhôôooo, un magasin de tissu à côté de chez toi! Veinarde!

mainely stitching said...

It sounds like, so far, London is agreeing with you very well! :D So happy to hear it. You take care, and ENJOY!

verobirdie said...

So good to see you seem so happy!
Go and indulge yourself in that fabrics shop, life is too short to have that kind of regrets.
The coat will be lovely.

Tracy said...

Hi, Isabelle! So great to hear how you're settling in and that all is going well with your relocation to Lovely London! I've been wondering if you've had time yet to scout out fabric shop and other crafty possibilities...LOL! ;o) London is full of great places with fabrics and trims...enjoy! Happy Days to you all there ((HUGS))

La Bergère Brodeuse said...

Je suis tellement contente pour toi!!!!! Le manteau blanc sera magnifique!!!! Mohair et alpaga!!!!!! J'ai tellement hâte de voir le résultat!!!!!!

Catherine

loopylulu said...

Aw, you both seem so great for each other. And you are a lucky girl for being able to live in London. I just visited a couple of months ago and the vibe completely agreed with me. You are lucky, lucky, lucky.

Anonymous said...

Good for you that you are feeling comfortable and at ease in London AND with your Seb at your side AND Miss Cutie AND own sewing room AND fabric stash AND a fabric shop nearby with friendly people. Enjoy the happiness ;-) Ann

Lindsay T said...

I envy you: London is a fabulous city, almost as great as my own NYC!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Isabella - enjoy your new adventure especially since you have your own sewing room and a new fabric shop around the corner. Those are good vibes! Can't wait to see your new coat...I am sure it will be wonderful!

Summerset said...

How marvelous! A husband that understands and a fabric store close by. Good luck to you on making the London coat.

Tany said...

I'm so glad to have you back, my sweeet friend! And your sewing plans sound very promising! (((HUGS)))

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

It all sounds like a wonderful start and all very exciting!

KayB said...

Great that you get settled.... at least a bit, which speaks for the fact that you think about sewing and all the things which come with it. Looking forward to the coat!

Christina said...

It sounds like you are settling in nicely in London! And a nearby fabric store - I know that you will help keep them in business! I have a fabric store that is a 7 minute walk from my house and it is perfect for those days when you are sewing and suddenly discover you need a zipper, elastic, etc. I never want to move.

Lisbei said...

Hello my dear friend !
Your Seb is really a treasure ... there are'nt so many men who say such things to their beloved wife : "You can buy more, even if you already have a good stash of it ..." ! You must keep him !!! (hihihi)
Your new quarters seem really nice, with a whole room for you ... is your flat quite bigger than your older one ?
Have a nice week, and good sewing !