Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hello from Zombieland

Hi everyone,
I hope this finds you all well, happy and enjoying all your favourite creative activities! I have really missed checking up on you all.

What have I been up to all this time, you may wonder?

I ended up taking only a week's break this summer; we spent it at my parents' in a very rainy countryside. Needless to say, the Curaçao swimsuit has yet to serve.

I printed and submitted my thesis last week.
Am leaving for a 3-day conference in England tomorrow.

After a few weeks of absolutely frantic work, though, I put the final touch to my paper this morning; and then felt that the best way to relax was to get reacquainted with my sewing machine, which I hadn't touched in months. I am making a new kimono top (Simplicity 4020), in a gorgeous fabric bought in Amsterdam. It is almost done and looking very promising; and I am feeling another woman already.

To keep this sewing-related, and because this makes me smile, here is the wardrobe I'm packing:
These are: the Burda wrap top, my Japonaiseries kimono top (along with the matching skirt for the evening), and my sable blouse or my new top, depending on my mood. Over all these, of course, my beloved Black Amethyst.

I am so glad that everything is handmade - barring the black pants I'll also be wearing, which, sadly, are store-bought. I lost weight and none of my (few) handmade pants fit anymore. Knowing (and grieving) I wouldn't have time to make a pair before I left, I bought one, shortened it, and am about to do a sway back adjustment.

I'll be back real soon - provided, that is, I come out of this alive. And sane.

I've missed you friends. Can't wait to be back and see what you've all been up to.

27 comments:

Jennifer/OH said...

So good to see you back...and then you are gone again so soon! Enjoy your time in England. Remember this is the home of Liberty Of London Fabrics!!

Summerset said...

It is good to hear from you! I've been thinking about you and your thesis recently. I'm so glad the end is in sight for you.

Your wardrobe is perfect - I hope your trip goes smoothly.

karenv said...

You'll be the best-dressed person at your conference, Isabelle! :)

Glad you found time for a quick post, I've been thinking of you and hoping everything was/is OK. Take care and hope all goes well this weekend!

Hala said...

with such wardrobe nothing can go wrong in the conference :)
big kissous

Sigrid said...

Yes, good to hear from you. Glad your thesis is finished. Though you have not been seewing lately, you do have a beautiful self-sewn wardrobe to take with you to England!Good to see those pieces again.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Welcome back and congratulations on submitting your thesis!!!! How exciting! I'm sure you'll be a hit at the conference.

cathymk said...

Lovely to see your post, Isabelle! You've picked some of my favourites from your handmade collection for your trip to the UK. Have fun at the conference!

Flo said...

Ma chère Isabelle,
C'est un gand plaisir de te lire à nouveau. Quel travail tu accomplis! Que ce soit 'intellectuel' ou ' manuel"!
Je te souhaite bon courage pour ta conférence.
Tu es superbe dans ces tenues fabuleuses. J'adore le haut Kimono.
Je t'embrasse.

Karoline said...

Congratulations on submitting your thesis. I hope the conference goes well for you

Jill in CA said...

Congratulations on your thesis and best of luck at the conference. That is one fabulous wardrobe!

Karen said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you got some well-deserved rest before throwing yourself back into work. But you'll be the best dressed woman at the conference, without a doubt. Glad you're getting some wear out of the black amethyst coat - it's too beautiful to live in the closet. Congrats on getting your thesis submitted.

ViRginiE said...

Contente que tu aies fini ta thèse!
J'espère que ta conférence se passera bien! En tout cas, tu as choisi de jolies tenues!

Lisbeï said...

Ma chère Isabelle !
Je suis si heureuse de lire de tes nouvelles, car j'ai souvent pensé à toi ces dernières semaines ...
Je suis sûre que cette conférence va être très intéressante, et que tu vas en revenir vivante ...
Alors, nous allons bientôt pouvoir t'appeler "Doctoresse" ?
Mille baisers affectueux, bonjour à Seb et caresses à la belle Mignonne !

LauraLo said...

{{{{HUGS}}}}
You'll be beautiful at the conference! Can't wait to have you back

Anonymous said...

Thank you for checking up on your blog Isabelle. I know everything will go fine. I wish you can get some good rest, relaxation and creative moments once all these important days have gone by. Enjoy them too, they will be remembered ;-) Fingers crossed ;-) Ann

-E said...

It's so good to see you again!

J Rae said...

Great wardrobe! You are very talented.

Bliss said...

Congratulations on the finish of the thesis, Doc Isabelle. I'm sure you did wonderfully well! What an achievement.

stitcherw said...

Glad to hear you're still hanging in there and are almost done. It must be so exciting to see the finish of what you've worked so hard for coming soon. Have fun at the conference.
Sue

brodstitch said...

Bonjour! je reprends avec méthode mes visites de blogs.
Comme j'en ai beaucoup à voir,un petit message général avant de vous laisser un petit mot plus personnel dans la semaine.

a little sewing on the side said...

Wonderful job well done, you lovely person! All the best to you as you defend your dissertation & good to see you sewing.

Barbara said...

You have been so often in my thoughts, Isabelle. It's wonderful to see a post from you. Sending love and good thoughts!! :D

Tany said...

I'm sending my love to you, Isabelle... Have a safe trip.

(((HUGS)))

josy26 said...

Un petit coucou,
je pense bien à toi et j'espère que tout s'est bien passé pour toi et que tu vas rentrer soulagée et muni de ton diplome .
Bisous

Catherine said...

Tu dois être bien contente que ta thèse soit déposée! Bonne conférence en Angleterre et bonne couture aussi :-)

Tracy said...

Hi, dear Isabelle! So glad to see you back in blogland...and creating! Can't wait to see the finished kimono-top :o) Hope you had a grand time in England...safe and happy travel home again. ((HUGS))

Clare said...

Welcome back - hope the conference is fun!