Saturday, June 28, 2008

Falstaff, and the Nannetta Dress

Yesterday, Seb and I were unexpectedly treated to a night at the Opéra! My brother's girlfriend, who's an outstanding flute player (and loves stitching! And Jane Austen! Yes, we do get on very well), was playing in the orchestra, and managed to get us tickets for the cost of a cinema seat. I am a huge, huge opera lover, but hardly ever get to go to perfomances... tickets are so expensive. This kind gesture totally made my week!

I finished this dress in the half hour before we left, just in time for the evening. As I was planning and cutting out the dress, I thought of it as a casual summer dress, but thanks to the beautiful fabric, and to the length I chose (to put the eyelet border at its advantage), it turned out dressy enough for a night at the opera.

Seb took his camera, which was a great opportunity to take pictures for the blog. I agree with Trena - taking pictures (especially with a tripod and a timer) can be tedious and time-consuming... besides, nothing beats pictures in situation! That is why, although this dress is my latest finish, it shall be the first reviewed. :)


Review for New Look 6774

(I put the knots lower on the straps today, they look better this way)
Fabric used:
The fabric is a cotton with an eyelet border that I got from a clearance table at the Marché Saint Pierre, the same day we chose the fabric for the Black Amethyst coat. It was 2 euro a metre, and I took one and a half.
Likes and dislikes:
I have no dislikes regarding this pattern other than it starts at a size 10. I needed to grade it down two sizes to get my fit.

Oh, and I will do a few things differently from the instructions next time, for a neater finish on the inside:
- The inside would be finished more neatly if the straps were inserted between the bodice and lining, instead of slipstiched on the outside of the lining.
- There would be no apparent waist seam allowance on the inside if the lining was slipstitched (or topstitched) to it. I'll do these changes next time, as I didn't have enough time to unpick and redo the seams for this dress. It makes no difference on the outside - I just like the inside to look as neat as possible.
Falstaff was wonderful. The performance was a particular success - you know, this special, magical osmosis between orchestra, singers and audience? It was all there. We had some of the best seats, too, thanks to our friend. I'll remember this evening all my life.

After the performance, Nannetta seemed the obvious name for this dress :)

Wishing you all a lovely, sunny weekend :)

39 comments:

Shannon said...

You look beautiful, like always!

Lori said...

You look so pretty, the fabric is perfect.

Sigrid said...

Lovely dress, and beautiful fabric. Good to hear you find a bit of time to relax again (and blogging of course).

Claudine said...

Lucky you! I'm glad you had a good night at the opera. You look wonderful in your dress.

toy said...

you look so pretty, what a beautiful dress

douceplume said...

Your dress is beautiful, my friend and great fabric choice :)

I will email you in the next days!

(((hugs)))

Nancy W. said...

This is a great dress for you. I always love seeing what you make. Great fabric, too.

Erica B. said...

You look beautiful in your dress! Glad you had a fabulous time!

Summerset said...

Fabulous - the opera and a pretty dress! What a nice ending to a what I'm sure was another busy week.

Barbara said...

Ooooh - a night at the opera with your honey! What a treat! I'm so happy for you. And the dress is lovely. :D

Shashi Nayagam said...

So glad that you got to go to a night out at the opera. That was a thoughtful gift by your brothers girlfriend. The dress is beautiful and you look lovely in it.

Nancy K said...

A night at the opera in a beautiful dress, what could be better? You look lovely

Jennifer/OH said...

Beautiful dress. This is an excellent use of the border of the fabric. I like opera but never get to go. It is the high price and also where I live now is a 'cultural wasteland". My favorite is the ballet, but I haven't been in ages, since my days living near New York. In regard to your comment on my blog....yes, I do have several patterns for 1910s style dresses. I have doll patterns and also people-sized patterns too. I find McCall's has superb and realistic Period costume patterns.

Vicki said...

Lovely story and a beautiful dress! Lucky you to get to go to the opera :)

stitcherw said...

Your dress turned out beautiful, and I'm glad you had such a good time at the opera and were able to wear it for the first time for such a special occation. Robin in the earlier post was so cute, I can't believe how much he's grown.
Sue

Catherine said...

Isabelle, your dress looks fantastic. I love opera too!

KayB said...

The dress is gorgeous, Isabelle and I envy you sitting in the Opera!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Stunning dress...I love how you used the border print on the dress!

Karoline said...

The dress is gorgeous Isabelle, glad you enjoyed your trip to the opera

Tracy said...

Oh, now pretty--you and the dress! The dress is wonderful...I love the eyelet and gray color. And what a treat to go to the opera! We love the opera and ballet...but tickets are so expensive so we seldom go :o( We leave of London on Tuedays and we'll be away a week. I plan on a photo-heavy blog post while we're there--LOL! Look forward to catching up with you when we get back. Happy weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Linda said...

You look lovely in this dress. Great use of the border. I really like how it looks on you. As always you did a great job!

Tany said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! What a great way to wear this outstandingly beautiful dress for the first time!! You look perfect in that dress, my friend!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

You look beatiful in your dress! I like the how you used the print for the border :) Looks great!

Lory said...

The eyelet on the fabric gave it that extra touch, very pretty. :)

Hugs,
Lory

brodstitch said...

une belle robe pour une magnifique soirée!
superbes les photos de P'tit Robin!et oui,j'ai une longueur de retard dans mes visites :o)

Flo said...

Tu es somptueuse!!
Quelle merveilleuse robe! Tu as un réel talent, et tes créas te vont tellment bien!!
Quelle belle soirée, j'imagine.
je suis très heureuse pour toi.
Je t'embrasse

ViRginiE said...

Elle est magnifique cette robe!
Bravo!
A bientôt.

kitou said...

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
j'adore la robe, la couleur et le tres beau tissu
tu la portes bien
dis moi quelle elegance !
bisous et merci pour le sunny week end

Tini said...

great dress!! And nothing beats THAT price :) I really need to convince DH to go to Paris with me one day (he planned to go there twice and both times his then-girlfriends broke up with him. He should be confident by now, that I won't break up with him though...)

LauraLo said...

Tu es très jolie dans ta nouvelle robe, Isabelle! J'adore le tissu et la robe est très romantique et très féminine! Gros gros bisous

Pirouette said...

I love how you took advantage of the border. This is lovely on you!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That is a lovely dress! I like all the details, and you really made good use of that eyelet border. I am sure you were as lovely as any of the costumes on stage!

Dyan said...

You know I like the dress and the eyelet at the bottom - it's pretty and feminine at the same time.
Dy

Karen said...

What a lovely treat - having Seb around, going to the opera and having a beautiful dress, all at the same time. I'm glad you had a wonderful time, it was probably from all the happy vibes you wer giving off.

Claire said...

Lovely dress and how marvelous you got to wear it to such a special event.

Ana Carina said...

Hi Isabelle,

This is my first comment, but I visit you many times!

I love this dress and looks fantastic on you. It's a very elegant model.

Beijinhos (kisses) from Portugal.

cherbi said...

Elle est belle cette robe ! tu es vraiment très douée. Bises

Jenna said...

Another stunning creation! I really love the eyelets in the bottom section. Very classy!

Lynne (Birmingham, UK) said...

Thank you so much for the swimsuit instructions - just what I needed!