Monday, June 09, 2008

Breezy

Simplicity 2891
Or how to sew and stay happy, in 5-minutes increments.
(Yep, I copied the model's pose. Up to the hair band! She looks so darn cute, don't you think?)

Hi everyone!
Surprised to seeing me back so soon? Well, so am I. I went to my parents' country house and shut myself up in a room overlooking a meadow for a few days, on what could be termed a writing retreat. This seems to have worked rather well, as I wrote my last chapter from start to finish there... It still needs a bit of tidying up, of course (and I need to make sure it's not total crap), but I am the first surprised at how much I managed to accomplish. Although I still need to fully realize.

Every evening, too, I worked a little on this top: cutting out the pattern one night, the fabric another... and so on and so forth. I finished it in Paris tonight. Rather like my chapter, this little top kind of built itself on its own!

Pattern Description: Misses' tunic or top with sleeve and trim variations

Pattern Sizing: 6-14. I cut a 6.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? I think so?

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.
Except there’s a mistake on the pattern for the sleeves’ gathers: they ought to extend from one outer dot, beyond the middle dot and on to the other outer dot. Unmissable mistake, though, and easy to fix.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I was attracted by its girliness. I like the yoke and love the gathered sleeves.
This top doesn’t have a zipper, yet is designed for non-stretchy fabrics. While this often means a top will look like a tent, I think here that the designers managed to give the top just enough ease to pull it through the shoulders, without making it too large.
I mean, OK, it's not the MOST flattering top in the world, but I have plenty of close-fitting tops and this, paired with fitted jeans, doesn't look half bad IMHO. It looks relaxed and breezy. (I think?)

No dislikes.

Fabric Used: Cotton eyelet, in my favourite shade of blue. Another fabric Seb chose with me, so it's in our favourite colour (we got this one at Bouchara).

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
- I did a FBA (my first serious FBA!).
- Instead of using fusible interfacing, I underlined it with white organza, because my fabric was see-through.
- I swapped steps 25 and 27: instead of sewing the sides and the sleeves' underarm seam, then attaching the sleeves to the top, I first attached the sleeves to the top, then sewed the side and underarm seam in one go. This made handling the sleeves' gathers much easier.
- Almost forgot! I shortened the top, and narrowed the sleeves a little.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes to both. I would love to make a version with the yoke in a contrasting fabric.

Conclusion: A cute little top that was fun to make and is nice to wear.
I almost decided on adding some lace as per the pattern picture (my initial idea), but with this eyelet fabric, I was afraid in the end that it’d look too lacey and maybe give away its homemade origin ;)
I believe it looks sleeker, and younger, without added frills.

Thanks ever so much for your comments on the Black Amethyst coat!
What a treat it was to come home and find all these in my inbox.

45 comments:

Adrienne said...

very cute top!!

Redwitch said...

Very pretty top, the colour is lovely on you :)

Good luck with the writing - the end is in sight!

(BTW didn't have chance to comment at the time, but your amethyst coat was gorgeous!)

karenv said...

Such a pretty top and your favourite colour too :)

Congratulations on getting your last chapter done - it's all downhill from here! :)

Pirouette said...

Lovely top and cute pose! That's great that you got your chapter done!

KayB said...

Yes, that's a cutie! You're quite pretty in it - congrats on the finished chapter, too.

Claire said...

The top is very cute and you are far cuter than the Simplicity model.
Congratulations on finishing the last chapter. Even though you may have to tweak/change some of it, you are nearing the end.

anita said...

Lovely top! Yes, it does look relaxed and breezy - and so do you after finishing the bulk of your last chapter.:) The end is in sight!

ViRginiE said...

Très joli top!

Bonnie D. said...

Very cute top! Kinda 60s retro looking. Makes me want to start singing that "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" song. LOL! The little trim around the yoke is perfect. I think you were smart to stop before adding the lace.

Claudine said...

That's such a cute top. It looks great on you, and I do think your simpler version is more attractive than the more ornate version on the pattern picture.

Barbara said...

It's an absolutely darling little top, Isabelle!

And congratulations on completing an entire chapter at your parents' home!

Summerset said...

Very cute! How nice to steal a few minutes here or there and make a top. Congratulations on the last chapter. I know there will be editing to do, but you've really hit a milestone!

Vicki said...

Nice to hear you had such a productive time while away. It sounded ideal. Your top is the perfect present for yourself :)

Sue (aka moushka) said...

Very cute top, Isabelle. I kind of like the definition provided by the trim. What about a bit of narrow white silk or satin ribbon around the yoke? I think it would give it a nice finish. JMHO. It looks lovely the way it is, though.
Congratulations on getting your last chapter done. You must be thrilled that it went so smoothly. May I ask what your topic is?
Sue

Karen said...

Congratulations on both the top and the ninth chapter - we all know which is the bigger accomplishment, but it's a great top as well. You can lounge around in it while doing your edits and realizing that what you wrote on your break was NOT total crap. Bravo.

Catherine said...

Voilà un petit top très joli! Je le préfère aussi sans les rubans, ça fait plus jeune :-)

pinky said...

Last chapter.. sounds great :)
and you've even found time to make a so cute top...
Mais comment tu fais ???

LauraLo said...

You look darn cute too! Cuter than the model. Good luck with the thesis and gros bisous, ma belle!

Anonymous said...

I agree that it looks younger without the lace. Congratulations on yet another creation of yours! Ann

Linda said...

I like this top and the use of eyelet fabric for it is perfect.

Lisette M said...

Congratulations of finishing the last chapter!The top is perfect for summer.

Alexandra said...

Very pretty top! I love the color.

kitou said...

j'aime toujours autant et te trouve toujours autant si jolie mais je comprends rien lol
je regarde les photos et j'adore!!!
bravo ma Kitty
Ta Kitou ki t'aime toujours
Bisous

Jennifer/OH said...

Yes, I too like it without the lace. The eyelet is lovely enough on it's own. I am still debating whether to make the Butterick dress. Still haven't bought the pattern and I found a lovley dress in a shop that is very similar to it, fits well and was a reasonable price. I have so few ocassions to wear dresses that I think to make another would be just another garment sitting in the closet until it is hopelessly out of style.

Cathy said...

I love the fabric color!

paco peralta said...

Isabelle.- very cute and lovely color. greetings.....Paco

Nancy W. said...

Very cute - this style suits you. This will be a great addition to your summer wardrobe.

Sharon said...

Cute topa! I really like the style of this one.

Karoline said...

Gorgeous sewing Isabelle your coat is stunning and the top is lovely.

Congratulations on finishing your final chapter, I hope you don't have to make too many revisions.

Lisbeï said...

Hello ma chère Isabelle !
Alors là, j'avoue que j'adore vraiment ce nouveau petit haut ! L'encolure, les manches, les fronces, le tissu ... bref, tout me plaît ! Et tu le portes très bien !
Je t'embrasse bien fort, ébouriffe la miss pour moi ...

Tany said...

What a pretty retro-looking top! Sending big hugs to you, dear friend!

Tracy said...

So pretty, Isabelle! I love the pale blue fabric...and that you did a more "simplified" approach without the frills, etc. The retro-flair is terrific. Looks like a very stylish and comfy top for summer days! ((HUGS))

Dyan said...

Hi Isabelle,
I just came across your blog a few days ago and loved your creations. I like the top too and the eyelet fabric you chose. Since it's summer, I bet it would look cute with some shorts for a day at the beach (I like to cover up - a bit shy you know). Kudos for your chapter. I write too and it's th best feeling when a chapter just flows together without effort.
Dy

Sachiko said...

very beutiful top!
I love fabric color.

from Japan
Sachiko
http://sachiko.wordpress.com/

Elaray said...

Your top looks much better than the one pictured. Eyelet was the perfect choice.

Lisa said...

Great top. You did a beautiful job with it. I like the step by step review of the process too. Nice idea.

Carol said...

Cute blouse! (Here I am... sheepishly... a week behind!) I hope you got some good writing in at the country.

Margaret said...

What a pretty top Isabelle - you look great in it.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Dear Isabelle,
You are such an accomplished and talented seamstress. I love your spring coat and such a beautiful colour one of my favourites too.

Lennu said...

Congratulations for your chapter! Your sewing is always so wonderful, seeing these photos almost makes me want to start sewing clothes again :) I used to sew lots of clothes for kids and myself earlier.

brodstitch said...

Ton "petit haut" est superbe,tu sais que je m'arrête au résultat :o)) mais les couturières doivent être ravies de tes explications.
une petite retraite à la campagne ,quoi de mieux pour se reposer??

Gorgeous Things said...

Oh, how cute!

stitcherw said...

Congrats on getting all that writing done, I hope the final review and clean up of it goes well for you. Love your new top, it looks so cool and fun, perfect for summer wear.
Sue

Lisbeï said...

Hello my dear friend !
I hope your not to hot in your tiny flat in Paris ! Here, there is a lot of sun, but my library is air-conditioned, so it is supportable.
The wedding was very nice, the bride was very pretty ... and she is pregnant !!! The baby is to come in December ... We are very happy for them !
Have a good week my dear, and give a hug to Little Miss Fluffy who must suffer with such a heat !

Michelle said...

Oh what a pretty top! I love the eyelet material you used. How fun!