Wednesday, May 23, 2007

A couple of cute tops

Hi friends!
Once again, thank you very much for the beautiful comments to the previous posts. I'm glad you like my choices for the dress - and thank you for your wonderful reassuring words. You friends just rock!

I've put the dress on hold until I receive the white taffeta and some more batiste, as I've now decided to do both the lining and underlining in batiste and I didn't have enough of it.
There will therefore be a short break in the "special gown" saga; but I promise you there are several surprises in stock to keep you waiting. :)
Today, I wanted to show you a new top, and a not-so-new one.

Here's a top I made 3 weeks ago to help me through a distressing time:

Simplicity 3887
It didn't photograph too well, I'm afraid. In real life, it is very cute and I promise it doesn't make one look fat!
The "skirt" beneath the top is in fact the muslin for my gown... Sorry for the tease ;)

Here's a top I made in just a few hours last weekend:

Apologies for the tired face - I've been having a few difficult nights, thinking a lot about my Mamie...
You can also see I've had my hair cut a good deal! I've never had them this short since I was 11, which was (eek!) 15 years ago. I absolutely don't regret doing it.

The top is a twist top, not unlike View F of the infamous Simplicity 4076. This pattern has long been on my wishlist (it has so many great tops), so imagine my surprise (and thrill) when I stumbled upon a twist top pattern in a French magazine (Fait main, the only French magazine offering sewing patterns), from 2005! I was browsing through my sewing magazines in search of a cute wrap top, but once I'd found that, I knew I needed search no further - that was what I wanted to make for the weekend. You see, when I had just asked Seb whether he had a preference for what I could sew last weekend, he said "a sexy top you could wear over jeans. I love it when you're wearing a pretty dress, but I love to see you in a cute top and jeans too!". So, that's what I made and judging from the look in his eyes, it seems to fit the bill :)

The difference here with the Simplicity 4076 pattern is in the sleeves, which are slightly off the shoulder and continuous with the front pieces. The explanations were appalling, but once I'd figured out what to do, it went together in a jiffy. I'll be definitely sewing more of those for me and my sisters, once I get more knit fabric! That one was a 1 1/4 yard piece I got from Etsy, and I love it. It is very comfortable. The good news is, there's enough left to make a tankini! More on that some other day :)

Hoping you're all having a good week!
Thanks again, friends

33 comments:

Vonna said...

Super tops you've made there...and I can just imagine his eyes about popped right out of his head with the twist top :)
Way to go! :)

KarenV said...

They're both cute but I love the twist top - I can see why Seb loves it too! :)

{{{{Hugs}}}} - I'm sorry you're having difficult nights, Isabelle

Debbie Cook said...

That's a very cute twist top and it looks wonderful on you.

Barbara said...

Hello, Isabelle. How is your grandmother doing? I am sorry you've been losing sleep, but under the circumstances, I can certainly understand why. Please take extra good care of yourself.

Your tops are beautiful, and that twist-top is just so fun and flattering!!

Annemarie said...

Love that op, Isabelle! Like your shorter hair, too!
Take care and {{{Hugs}}}

Shashi Nayagam said...

Dear Isabelle,
Whatever you put your hand to turns beautiful. I love both the tops they suit you perfectly. My favourite is the one that goes with the jeans. Hope you are having a restful night tonight.

Carol said...

What sweet tops! I shall continue to pray that your nights get easier. I wish I could help... {{{hugs}}}

Jamie said...

Your talent just amazes me! I love it. Can't wait to see more progress on the wedding dress.

Tany said...

Both your tops look lovely!
{{{Isabelle}}}

Carla said...

You look great on that top Isabelle!! Both tops are cute :)

Dawn said...

Both tops are cute!

Barbara said...

Isabelle,

I think you should open up a boutique, selling lovely classic dresses and tops. Your choice of designs are simple and yet stunning. It's true what they say 'less is more'!

Do take care of yourself in this trying times.

Zoanna said...

Very flattering twist top and I like the sweetness of the first one, too. So feminine, both of them. lOve the fabrics you chose.
So you didn't want to keep super long hair even for your wedding? Was Seb okay with that? either way , you've got stunning locks.

xstitch.nl said...

That top definitely looks good on you! Like the other one very much too! Take good care of yourself!

Katrin said...

Hello Isabelle,

beautiful tops, both of them. Over here we also had a hype for a twisted top from Burda magazine which is an evergreen.
And after seeing the first one, I am now going to order it at simplicity since I also have an eye on it for weeks now. It is such a nice one !

Best regards,
Katrin

Anonymous said...

it's beautiful!!!! Ann.

lena-lou said...

Your hair looks very nice Isabelle and your tops are very pretty. You are a clever lady :-)) Sending warm thought to you and your Grandma.

Have a nice day

ollie1976 said...

Beautiful tops!
-Jen

Cidell said...

That is what I love about the magazines with patterns. There is always something there you may have missed the first time around!

Cathy said...

Adorable and lovely, as always!

Karoline said...

Both tops are gorgeous Isabelle, your new haircut is very flattering as well

Margaret said...

These tops are so cute Isabelle. Isn't it wonderful that we have hobbies to help us through the difficult times? I'm sure every loving stitch is made with our grandmother happily looking over your shoulder.
Your hair looks great and must feel so lovely & light.
Thank you for all your wonderful birthday wishes - they made my day very special. Love the fact that your mom was born into the same family situation I was.
hugs, Margaret

coonie said...

The tops are both cute, Isabelle, but I especially like the second one :) I'd like to have a twist top like that.

Gros bisous

Von said...

Both tops are cute, cute, cute!! Fabulous workmanship too. :)

Jenna said...

LOL at Seb's request and reaction. He's head over heels in love with you. :) I think the top turned out fantastic and will go with more than just jeans, too. I like the top at the top, as well. I think it photographed just fine, but then I can picture how the top is supposed to fit and flow pretty well in my head. It's good to have some work to dig into to take your mind off of your troubles. *hug*

Summerset said...

Super Cute! The twist top is perfect - it's got the twist but the shoulders are a little different than your average twist top!

Sew-in-Love said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Isabelle said...

Elisabeth, please let me know where I "publicly abused" you. Or even privately, for that matter. What on earth makes you think I was referring specifically to your comment?
As it happens, I received a lot of comments about my wedding. Most of them wonderful, but a few, very hurtful.

I deleted yours because I did not agree with your views. This is my own space and I have a right not to let my space be used to publicize ideas I do not agree with, especially in such a matter. You have your own blog to do that. However, I was not referring to your comment. I cannot believe the violence with which you just wrote on my blog, without making sure of the ins and outs beforehand. And you, advising me of "checking first"...

Now please read your comment again and see who is "publicly abusing" whom.
This makes me sick.

I didn't want to post this in a comment, but to email you - only I couldn't find your email address anywhere. Let me know if you don't want this to stay up there.

2miaou said...

ils sont magnifiques les 2 tops, avec une préférence pour le 2ème!

et je suis du même avis que Seb, un haut habillé, sexy sur un jean, je trouve cela très classe (avec des chaussures à petits talons yeah!)

grosses biiiizz ma Belle et caresses à Ptite Mignonne qui doit souffrir de la chaleur!

Gaylen said...

Isabele - I have been reading our blog for awhile now. I love the garments you turn out. Your taste and fashion sense is remarkable. I love that second twist top - the shoulders give it just the little something extra. Also - the muslin for the wedding dress (newer post) looks great. Your sister is very lucky to be able to wear your fabulous muslins. g

madhatter said...

those tops are very lovely!!

stitcherw said...

You've been very busy this week. I love your top, it really looks great with jeans. I'm not much of a dress person, actually I can't remember the last time I wore one, but I love fun tops. When I'm not at work (where jeans aren't allowed) I'm always running around in jeans. Tops that can dress up jeans are difficult to find, but you did a perfect job creating yours. Congrats on a very pretty finish.
Sue

The Slapdash Sewist said...

We're twins with our twist tops! Fun!