Saturday, March 17, 2007

Too tired for a title

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a good week. :)
Seb and I have both been working hard lately, and we are knackered. Add to that a sweet, but insistent kitty who wakes me (never him!) up every morning at 5 (despite the fact that we go to sleep at midnight at best), and you may get an idea of how I'm feeling! Still, I'm happy with what I have achieved.

We still both need to work this weekend, but I do plan to toss in some sewing, for sanity's sake. Besides, this has been a great mail week, stash wise! I treated myself to a "gorgeous fabric" (thanks Ann for the superb order!), and finally received my sewingpatterns.com order from February (no thanks there! Their $-5 or -6 sales are interesting for us Europeans who never have pattern sales, but why do their orders always take so long to arrive??).

I got the New Look 6429 surplice dress (left), and the McCall's 5314 wrap dress with a wonderful full skirt (right), for which I already have a gorgeous plum rayon.

Provided I don't pass out once I'm done with my work, I plan to make (or at least, start) a Burda wrap dress from Ann's stylized floral. The fabric is in the washing machine right now, but the pattern is all traced out. When I ordered the fabric from Gorgeous Things, I got so excited that I decided to trace the pattern right away, so it would be all ready when the fabric arrived. Tracing a pattern is my least favourite part in dressmaking, so since that chore was completed last weekend, it should be all fun now.

I did manage to fill two custom orders this week, which made for a couple of fun and relaxed evenings. The orders came from two very sweet ladies, which made it all the more enjoyable.

One order was for a lavender-scented flanged pillows set :

The other request was a kitty-themed shoulder purse:

I cut the fabric so there would be a kitty on the flap.

I love those custom orders - they are very inspiring as I try my best to meet a person's personal tastes.


Hope you all have a lovely, relaxing weekend! Take care everyone. 

15 comments:

Sew-in-Love said...

Good to see your sewing 'business' is doing so well there!=) Might just order something nice for our bedroom too, once it's all finally finished.

Like your new patterns, just wish all these lovely things that are around at the moment didn't have such embarrassingly low necklines!=( They make *me* feel uncomfortable, (someone else wearing them, I mean, as I never do), so I dread to think how many men feel. I love the bodice and skirts though and some of the fabrics are lush.=) I daresay it would be relatively easy for someone experienced to make the neckline higher.

Know what you mean about waiting for orders, it's a real pain!

So, are you writing your PhD at the mo? I just remember your posting about what you would call your position in English etc and, as I work in a university too, I'm trying to get it straight in my mind so that I can supply you with the right expression.=) In our uni, some of the junior lecturers haven't yet completed their PhDs, so maybe that's what you are too? I've just studied to PGDip level, so that's 2/3 of an MA, but I hope to upgrade that this year to a full MA and take linguistics courses in grammar and 2nd language acquisition - helpful for a language teacher like me.=)

Have a good w/e and let's hope we both get some stitching done. I'm sick of having nothing good to post!

Je t'embrasse,

Elisabeth=)

Isabelle said...

Thanks, Elisabeth! I agree about the necklines. Too low is uncomfortable for everyone, I guess!
Fortunately, Ann at Gorgeous Things has posted a great tutorial on how to raise a neckline. Have a great stitchy weekend :)

stitcherw said...

The patterns look like they will make lovely dresses. I'm looking forward to seeing what fabric you select and how they turn out.

Cute pillows, and the fabric you chose for the little purse was adorable. Hope work settles down for you a little bit so you can have more stitching/sewing time.
Sue

Vonna said...

Lovely work Isabelle :)
Your sewing is inspiring :)
The dress will be lovely, I'm sure!

BeckySC said...

Everything is just lovely :)
Have a great weekend my friend :)
((hugs))

Margaret said...

Sounds like you are in for a good weekend with your lovely new patterns and fabric. ENJOY!!!
{{{hugs}}}

Margaret said...

Thanks for your quick response Isabelle. I don't know what I was doing wrong (actually just clicking on her link via her comment on mine) but I was able to reach her now via your link info.

Barbara said...

Those dresses are so perfect for you, Isabelle. I can't wait to see how you sew them up and how they look on you! :) And your custom orders are beautiful - your customers are going to be some very happy ladies.

Enjoy your weekend, and I hope you get some rest!

Lizzy said...

I love your new patterns, Isabelle and I know the dresses are going to look lovely on you! I can't wait to see what fabby you choose... :-)

I love your custom order finishes... you are such a talented lady and such an inspiration!

Claire said...

Cute kitty purse. I have that one McCalls' pattern - I can't wait to make it up either. They will all look so lovely on you.

Scrapbookmomof3 said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and I love it. Excellent read and I'll be back.

Carol said...

Your kitty purse is too cute! Get some rest girl, you are scaring me! {{{hugs}}}

Lisa said...

You accomplish so much in such a little bit of time. I am always a bit in awe of you. On top of that, it all looks great! Take care. Love, Lisa

Mo said...

Bonjour Isabelle You've been tagged to tell us 5 stitching things about yourself. I've done mine in my stitching blog:

http://moscrossstitchcorner.blogspot.com/2007/03/stitching-facts-about-me.html

Then we get to ask you 5 questions which you answer in your blog.

Then tag 5 people (or as many as you want). Cheers.

Tu peut le faire en anglais ou dans ton blog français. Au fait, comment dit-on "tagged" en français?

Jenna said...

Those dress patterns look fabulous for your, Isabelle! What a nice break it will give you from your work this weekend. I can't wait to see what you come up with! I also can't wait to see my lavender pillows when I get home. :D