Saturday, March 03, 2007

Sunday Night Sewing

Hi everyone!
I hope you had a good week. Mine was pretty productive workwise, which feels great.
Our last weekend was an eventful one in many respects; as a consequence, I only managed to approach the sewing machine at 6pm, on Sunday. I was determined to get some sewing done nonetheless: I knew how dreary the next week would feel if I hadn't touched a needle all weekend. So I cut, pinned, and sewed until midnight.

Here's the outcome:

An empire top, with a side zipper, trimmed with ribbon.

The pattern is New Look 6515. Yep, another New Look... What can I say. They are cute and cheap ($3)... I love them.
I made view C.

The fabric is the same I used to make my sister's tunic.
The blouse is OK, but there's something about the top part that doesn't sit quite right. I'll have to wear a tank underneath if I don't want, let's say, some sneak peeking in the metro!

I thought of shortening the top part by the shoulders, but the ribbon would sit too high (and the bust area is scarce enough as it is). So, let's say I'll just wear a tank underneath! It's still cute, though. That fabric goes well with a pair of jeans, I think, which is why I chose to accent the dark blue colour in the print with that wide ribbon.

That fabric is so pretty that I used some to to make more kitty pillows for the boutique... among other things, such as this:
You can find them here.
I'll be happy to hear any suggestion if you want a different colourway and/or fragrance. Or indeed, anything else! :)

~*~
Happy birthday to dear Nicki!
Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.
I plan to sew and sing...
Could be worse, eh? :)

31 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

Dear Isabelle,
I do like your blouse and perhaps you do need to wear a tank top underneath but still it looks very smart. Your choice of fabric and patterns are always great.
Have a lovely weekend!

Redwitch said...

Great top, your sewing skills are just amazing, it looks lovely! Happy singing :)

cathymk said...

What a sweet top! Looks very lovely on you.

KarenV said...

I love that fabric Isabelle - your top is lovely and looks great with your jeans! Have a great weekend!

Jamie said...

OH Isabelle - I'm just so jealous of your sewing skills. I'm thinking of getting a sewing machine - just one for beginners - do you have any suggestions?

Karin said...

I think the top looks fantastic! I wish I could sew as well as you do.

Carol said...

Cute top Isabelle - that is just my style!! Love it! Well done, as always :-)

Leslie aka zoeandcooper said...

Wow, your tunic is just stunning! You are so talented.

Carla said...

your top is beautiful....it looks great on you :)!

BeckySC said...

Lovely top, Isabelle :)

Zoanna said...

Cute style for you. If I was the envious type, I'd scream, but I'm not, so I applaud your work. I agree a tank would be a wise investment for modesty's sake. Without it, though, you might get a raise at work and twice as many young male students next semester! Just kidding.

Von said...

I've been thinking about finding some good basic patterns to use for myself. This one looks terrific! Layering tops is very popular now, so that may be what the designer had in mind. Thanks for sharing your talent with all of us. Hugs!

Barbara said...

I shall smile for the rest of my weekend, thinking of you sewing and singing, Isabelle. :)

Michelle said...

I love your blouse, it is so pretty. I am just in awe of your sewing abilities. That ribbon you chose is just gorgeous with the fabric!

Dawn said...

The top looks great! :)

BlissxStitches said...

Hey, Isabelle, nice shirt. Does this mean that you too are having a baby? Woo hoo! Congratulations!

Gorgeous Things said...

I love that top on you!

Jenna said...

The tunic looks really good. I love the dark blue ribbon. But you need to smile in your photos. ;)

Hey, can you make up a set of the pink flanged pillows for me with lavender inside so that I can buy them from you? I would love to have these for my lingerie drawers and I absolutely ADORE french lavender. :D

Congratulations on such a successful start! I hope that a steady stream of business continues for you. *hug*

Cathy said...

You are such a wonderful seamstress - that top looks fabulous!!!

stitcherw said...

Your top turned out lovely, and I agree it goes great with jeans.
Sue

Zoanna said...

I left a long comment to your comment on my last poat. You might want to clarify your NONpregnant status, sweetie! BTW I will buy a set of sachets w/ lavendar from you. How much for 3, inlcuding shipping?

Tessa said...

Your empire top is very cute - AND - the layered look is 'in' right? So tank away, love the ribbon finish
too :)

Stephanie said...

You really did a great Job Iz!

Wendy said...

Very sweet top and I think it would look just as nice with a tank top underneath. Whatever is more comfortable for you. Sewing on a Sunday night is a great way to finish off your weekend.

ollie1976 said...

The top looks great!

Sew-in-Love said...

Yup. it's lovely but, yup, do put something underneath or just don't lean forward or people will get more than they expected!!!!=)

Oh, what lovely hair you have!=)

Nicki said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes my friend :) I saw your post but i've only now had time to comment.

The blouse looks lovely and the pillows are so sweet :) And your redwork piece in the previous post is gorgeous!

Have a lovely week {{{hugs}}}

whitecalla said...

The top looks great. I think you need not worry much.

Karoline said...

The top is really cute Isabelle, congratulations.

Patty said...

you really are gifted! I wish I could sew as well as you do!

BlissxStitches said...

She really is a great girl. I'm inspired by her achievements every time I look at her site. I'm sorry I made the comment about being pregnant. As I said privately to Isabelle, it's cos she looks so much like Princess Mary of Denmark that I made the comment. She's definitely not fat! You better keep eating that french chocolate that I like so much ISabelle ...LOL.

If you ever do get pregnant, don't tell us until delivery. We will all drive you nuts! LMAO