Monday, June 26, 2006

The Olivia Dress

Hi friends. I hope this finds you all well and happy.
Migraines haven't left me since last Wednesday... This, combined with an incredibly busy end of the year (which certainly doesn't help the migraines), and the worries I was mentioning a while ago (which haven't lessened), haven't helped me to be creative lately. Friends, I must also apologize for my lateness in answering emails, or for my spare comments on your blogs: on top of having very little spare time, I can't stay in front of a computer screen for long...

Fortunately for the cheerfulness of this blog, I still have several little things to show you: three dresses, gifties sent over the previous weeks, and my latest items for the Virades de l'Espoir sale.

Today, I wanted to show you the two dresses I made from a design which I decided to call the "Olivia Dress". Why so? Well, my friend Olivia from Normandy recently sent me some wonderful crinkled, slightly shiny, and of course blue fabric... And her fabric inspired me to make the following dress:
The Olivia Dress
Pattern: Newlook 6557 - view B

I apologize, as I know one gets a better idea when the garment is worn rather than on a dressform... But Seb is just as busy as I am. Apologies also for the poor light - the weekend has felt more like Autumn than Summer here.
I decided to fully line the bodice (with white cotton): I find this gives it more body than merely adding facings. I think I'll do that alteration often in the future.

I really like that design, and I immediately wanted to call this feminine, simple yet chic dress, la robe Olivia.
Actually, I liked that design so much that I used it again in the following days...
The second dress from that pattern is better adjusted, as New Look patterns - like Simplicity patterns - come out waaay larger than their sizing indicates (why can't they be more acurate?). Even using the smallest size in the envelope vs. the size my measurements pointed to, it turned out a little large.

I wore this dress at my sister's wedding. The first one looked too much like a bridemaid's dress, and that was certainly not the right look for the simplistic wedding my sister and BIL wished for. This is why I chose a white and blue flowery fabric that made the design look more informal.

My little sister took that picture in my parents' garden, on our older sister's wedding day.

Oh! And I almost forgot once again. When I was in Lille, I had my Petal Fairy framed. I wanted to wait to be in Lille because it was much less expensive there than in Paris! And I like the ladies in that framing store - that's also where I framed my paintings, when I used to paint.

I chose a double matting, and colours that brought out her wings (light grey and aubergine).

I wish you all a pleasant week!

28 comments:

shashi said...

Dear Isabelle,
So sorry to hear that your migraines haven't left you. I think it is all the worries that you are having that is causing it mainly. I do hope they will all be resolved soon to give you peace of mind.
Oh what a beautiful gorgeous dress and so very chic. It is very you. What a lovely couple you and Seb make. Thanks for sharing this picture with us all. The fairy has come to life fully now. I love it.
I think I can talk about it here. The secrete doll that I am making is my rendition of the Petal fairy. I will show it to you first when I am finished.

Karoline said...

{{{{Isabelle}}}} I hope the migraines clear up soon. The dresses are lovely and it's a gorgeous photo of you and Seb. I really like how you've framed Petal Fairy

Heather said...

I hope the migraines clear soon. You look beautiful in the dress, it's a lovely photo of you and Seb.
Petal Fairy looks lovely in that frame.

Lisa said...

The dresses are fabulous! I love them both. The picture of you and Seb is wonderful..thank him for us. It's nice to see your sweetie. :)

Petal Fairy looks so nice. I really just can't get over the dresses. They are just wonderful.

I hope you get some relief from the migraine and the other stressers in your life very soon. I will pray to that end. {{{{Isabelle}}}}

marina said...

Such a very romantic-looking dress! Looks like it suits you well.

And I wish you the best of health - migraines are nasty things.

Zoanna said...

{{{{hugs amighty}}} Freind, Isabelle: I was thinking of you this a.m. when I awoke with a persistent headache, nothing akin to a migraine, but bothersome nonetheless. Such becoming dresses. You and Seb look so sweet together. He's not much taller than you, eh? Petal Fairy's frame really sets her off. Thanks for your advice to me at 25 things.

Zoanna said...

Multi-typos above on my comment. So sorry. Racing fingers.

Susimac said...

Gorgeous dress and you and Seb make a lovely couple.

Petal fairy looks gorgeous framed.
Hope that you feel better soon and that the stresses leave your life.

Carol said...

Oh, what a stunning dress!! YOu and Seb look wonderful in that pic :-)

Oh gosh, Petal Fairy looks so pretty - great framing job, congratulations!!! You must be so proud of her :-)

Cathy said...

I love that dress! It's so flattering. And Seb is so handsome :)

lena-lou said...

Love your dresses and the lovely pic of you and Seb...you look good together. Petal fairy looks so nice framed...I do hope your migraines stop soon and you can stop worrying...which is hard to do :-)
Have a lovely week Isabelle

zoeandcooper said...

Wow, I am always impressed with your stitching ability. That dress looks great on you!

Petal Fairy doesn't look too bad herself:)

Nicki said...

I hope your migraines leave soon Isabelle - I wish it was an easier time for you right now :) The photo of you and Seb is lovely - the dress is gorgeous (both of them!) And Petal looks great too! :)

Von said...

Isabelle, please do all you can to decrease your migraine pain! I do so enjoy your posts, your sewing and stitching are superb, but we all want you healthy!
Enjoyed seeing a pic of you and Seb together; you're a very well-matched couple!

Chiara said...

Hi Isabelle
I hope you are getting well!!
Your dress is lovely!!
and you are a very nice couple!!!

Bea said...

Oh, Isabelle, your dress is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the picture, you and Seb are a lovely couple.

Barbara said...

Isabelle, I'm so sad to hear that you've been suffering from migraines and they've kept you from things that you enjoy. I hope they will go away!!! Your dress is beautiful and the picture of you & Seb is fantastic. What a beautiful couple you are!!

Rósa said...

I'm sorry that migraines are keeping you from doing things you like, hopefully they will go away sooner rather than later.

Your dress looks amazing and you look beautiful in it :-) That's a very nice pic of you and your beau :-)

And I love the petal fairy in her frame. You chose beautiful colors and it does fit the design very well.

cathymk said...

Feel better soon Isabelle!!
Beautiful Dress and so lovely to see you both.
((hugs))

~Harsha~ said...

you're such a beautiful couple. lovely frame for the petal fairy too.. I hope you'll feel better real soon Zabelle.

bunnyhead said...

You look stunning in that dress! You are so talented with that machine of yours. The Petal Fairy looks gorgeous framed up.

KarenV said...

So sorry to hear about the migraines Isabelle {{{hugs}}} Hope you're feeling better soon.

Your dresses are gorgeous - love the photo of you and Seb - and Petal Fairy looks beautiful framed :)

Take care!

Kathy said...

Wow your petal fairy looks fantastic.

What a lovely picture of you and Seb, then dress looks lovely.

Hugs xxxxx

andrea said...

Petal Fairy looks great! A beautiful picture of yourself and Seb. The dresses you have made are wonderful. Just think how expensive one would be in the shops compared to how much you have made it for. Fantastic. :)

Gina E. said...

Dear Isabelle, isn't there anything that your doctor can give you to get rid of those migraines? I used to suffer from them when I was on the pill many years ago, it was awful. Thank God for the menopause - lol! Seriously, I do hope you feel better very soon. Love the piccie of you and your Soul Mate - what a lovely couple, it is nice to see another Blog Friend 'in the flesh'.

Maggie Ann said...

What a wonderful picture of you and Seb!! You are beautiful and your dress is so pretty and feminine...you are a wonderful seamtress. Praying to our Father above about the migranes. Wishing you rest....

Maggie Ann said...

Wanted to say also, I think your Petal Fairy is gorgeous!

Jenna said...

Your Petal Fairy looks so lovely framed up! But then, I knew it would. :)

I'm so sorry that you are still having migraines. You know that I wouldn't wish them on anyone, especially not our dearest Isabelle! *hug*

That dress is so beautiful and you and Seb make a very handsome couple. Thank you to Seb for allowing you to share the photo with us! :)

Have a great weekend, my friend!