Thursday, June 08, 2006

Spring has come

Hello friends
It is more than time I showed you the little skirts I made over the last two Sundays...
The first one was made on the day before I met Shashi: I was hoping to wear it in Shashi's honour, but it finally rained too much to be wearing a skirt.

That skirt is incredibly simple: it is only made of two pieces cut in the bias, and has an elastic waist. I couldn't resist trimming the hem with lace...

And I sewed, trimmed and serged the second one last Sunday, in just one hour (since the pattern was all ready):
This picture was taken earlier this week at 7 pm, on the Canal Saint-Martin, ten minutes from our place. Yep, Spring has finally reached Paris! And we are taking long walks in the evenings, as often as we can.
(I know I need white shoes, but I couldn't find any in my size (US size 5 - UK size 3,5 I think) anywhere in the dozens of shoe shops around our place. Am I really such a dwarf? You see what I mean, now Jenna?)
I bought the fabric with Shashi on May 29th: 5 euros for two metres, and I have enough left for a dress. That skirt cost me a total 3 euros at most.
~*~
Here's a first WIP picture of Celtic Summer:


This is the back of her dress. I finally chose to go with the fabric that Carol sent me for my Birthday, rather than the Country Stitch Eden fabric: the colours are the same really, but those in Carol's fabric are more muted and soft - Seb and I felt it would be better to have a less "busy" choice for Celtic Summer. Now that I have started and stitched 3 different shades on the fabric, I am really very happy with that choice. What a wonderful present you made me, Carol!
~*~
Oh, and I have two dress projects:

New Look 6459
I chose the design that is worn by the model; I finished tracing the pattern and cutting the fabric for this one (which is by far the least interesting part for me), and I hope to sew it up this weekend. The fabric is the same as the the blue skirt above.

And then I plan to make this one:

New Look 6557
It'll be cut in a pretty blue fabric that a French friend sent me. Looks like I'll be wearing blue all summer.
I hope you are all having a beautiful and sunny day.

21 comments:

KarenV said...

Your skirts look great Isabelle! I've been looking for a summer dresss and after seeing your skirts and dress patterns, I might have to bite the bullet and make one, since I couldn't find anything I liked in the right colour.

Looking forward to your progress on Celtic Summer :)

Zohrah said...

I've always wanted to add lace to my skirt..but afraid that it would make me too girlie. Now that I've seen yours,maybe I can try it next time.

My version of skirt is the simplest and laziest version I would called it. Cut 2 fabric, size of my butts, cut from hip to waist slanting. Since I don't have a serging machine, I normally sew french seam for sides. Add the necessary darts, 2 folds for top and bottom, stitch all around. I don't use the elastic wasit band either.

I wear US size 8 1/2, that would make me a big foot. You can get dainty shoes in Singapore. All the stores here carries small shoes...and you feel right at home, the best part..they are cheap too.

Bea said...

Oh, Isabelle, your skirts are wonderful! Well done! I can't wait to see your dresses, I like both the patterns very much. Finally I could see your progress on the Orchard and it's turning out lovely. Yesterday the picture didn't work.

Lelia said...

Lovely skirts! And the patterns you selected are very nice. What a talented seamstress - your sewing skills have me gobsmacked.

I don't own a sewing maching & often feel like I'm missing out.

Enjoy the day

shashi said...

Dear Isabelle,
Your skirts have turned out so well. How nice that the sun has come out for you to be able to wear it. That canal picture is beautiful. Next time when I am in Paris I must walk in places like this canal.
Take care now.

Barbara said...

You are SUCH a talented seamstress, Isabelle! I just love that skirt! I bought fabric for the dress pattern you sent for Rowen. Cross your fingers & toes...

Carol is great at choosing fabric - she sent me some for a dragon for Max and it was perfect!

Enjoy the fine weather! :)

Jenna said...

Oh Isabelle, that first pattern is what I was looking for when I was looking for sundresses. How wonderful! Your skirts look fabulous; I love the colors and they look great on you! And you are NOT a dwarf!!! I told you, you are a lovely, dainty and petite creature. Embrace yourself! Oh, and my mother has to buy her shoes on the internet to get the right sizes. Let me know if you want me to ask her where she used to get hers, but I'm pretty sure that one of them was Massey's (www.masseys.com).

Kim said...

Your skirts are lovely! A size 5 shoe is very dainty and you would definately not have trouble finding them here. :D And WOW, do you have long beautiful hair! (Now, that you are blushing...) Those sun dresses are so cute, I'm sure you will get a lot of wear out of them.

Glad to hear it's warming up and I envy you those walks in such a stunning locale!

Lnanaa said...

I love the skirt you made. I hope to be able to make one of those someday. I look forward to the other dresses. I like blue too. :)

It looks like your Celtic Summer will turn out really nice.

Nicki said...

Those skirts are so pretty Isabelle! You're so good as sewing and those dresses look like they're going to be really pretty too :)

Lisa said...

Cute skirts! Funny, I had some material with a small floral pattern that I kept thinking would make a cute skirt. Judging from yours, I was right. :)

I'll look forward to seeing the dress and your progress on stitching.

Your hair is gorgeous.

Carol said...

Aw, you are so welcome for that fabric! The skirts are just stunning girl!

Heather said...

Your skirts are beautiful. The dresses will be stunning.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your finish. The skirts are very beautiful as are also the dresses you will be making. Have fun making them. Ann.

Patti said...

Oh lovely Isabelle - you are so talented. I look forward to seeing your finished dresses. You are so inspiring I just might have to make myself a summer skirt too!

Von said...

Oh Isabelle! Your sewing projects are wonderful and inspiring! I so want to get some cute little summer outfits stitched for my youngest dd, and maybe something for myself.

Annemarie said...

Looks like you're making a great summer wardrobe for yourself, Isabelle. I love the colours and fabric you're using for Celtic Summer.

Deb L said...

I'll have to just agree with all the above comments!

I haven't sewn any clothes in a very long time, but it is a good feeling to wear something I've made myself. Your skirt is pretty, and the lace trim adds just the right touch.

I will enjoy watching your progress on Celtic Summer :)

Maggie Ann said...

Happy sewing my friend! What a wonderful feeling to have accomplished this!. When our daughter was in high school my husband told her he would keep her supplied with fabric for whatever she wanted to sew. Little did he realize....she made a new outfit every single week. Twice she made jackets, one with a pleated skirt. Success is contagious, isn't it. To think one can sew a skirt for 'pennies' compared to store prices...wow! I am needing to sew skirts that can be worn while I play my cello. Oh to find that perfect pattern! and when I do, eventually, I re-use it over and over. Must go, may every blessing be yours in Christ.

lena-lou said...

I like your skirt and the dress patterns you have chosen. I enjoy sewing with my machine I like the instant result you get :-) The purse bags you make are nice. Have fun!!

Tany said...

You're right Isabelle! It looks exactly the same lace trim!!! Lovely skirt, btw! :)))