Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Wallhanging Tutorial

Hi friends!

Here are - at last - the step-by-step pictures for the tutorial to make my wallhangings. I came up with this method by myself, so please, if need may be, give credit where it is due and respect copyrights (sorry, I've had problems before so that's why I insist!).

I believe the pictures are pretty much self-explanatory. Each picture is clickable to a larger one, whose title depicts the step. So, if you read carefully each title, you should be OK!

Materials needed:
- a stitched piece (or a quilt block!); don't forget to add seam allowances before trimming it to desired size!! (my seam allowances are 1 cm, i.e width of my presser foot)
- 4 strips (2 of the same length as the width of the stitched piece; the other two of that length + width of the first 2 strips: see first 2 pictures). Here again, don't forget to add seam allowances, or your strips will end up narrower than wanted!)
- backing fabric
- batting for the middle layer. I never put cardboard, because I want my quilts to be washable (and they wouldn't actually be quilts if they had cardboard within them!). Besides I like my mini-quilts to be soft... To me those have to be soft, sweet little gifties.
















And there you go!


Do you need more explanations? Right now I don't have the time to do so, but if you need more help, please tell me and I'll try and explain as soon as I can!

Happy Sewing!

15 comments:

bunnyhead said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I'm always grateful when you experts out there help out us beginners! :D You do such good work.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Isabelle! The pictures are very clear.

Carol said...

Thanks Isabelle - well done :-)

~Harsha~ said...

Isabelle honey... thats very clear. thank you so much for posting those step by step pictures. I will let u see if I ever attempt one :) *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry Isabelle, the anonymous was me, Ann.

shashi said...

Dear Isabelle,
You explained it very well in pictures.
hugs

AnneS said...

Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial with us - funnily enough, I've been planning in my head the exact same thing you have explained, and it clarified I was on the right track ... and helped to cement the instructions in my brain. Yippee :)

Ali B said...

Isabelle - I have to say, this is tres jolie :-) It has really given me the motivation to try something like this for the Spring - I fancy a wallhanging in our hallway and I am currently stitching an old fashioned sampler so I think I can really make it stunning with your kind help. Love Alison xx

Ali B said...

Isabelle - I have to say, this is tres jolie :-) It has really given me the motivation to try something like this for the Spring - I fancy a wallhanging in our hallway and I am currently stitching an old fashioned sampler so I think I can really make it stunning with your kind help. Love Alison xx PS sorry for not getting in touch - working like mad on MSc assignments etc (you know the score :-) I love yr blog

Charlene said...

Thanks Isabelle for the clear explanation plus picture as well. I hope I can try to make one for myself.

Trish said...

Thanks so much! I am going to save this!!! I just finally got a sewing machine and am going to try to learn to sew. This will come in VERY handy, I'm sure!

Thanks again, Isabelle! You're the best!

Jenna said...

Isabelle, those instructions are so clear and just perfect. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that for us non-seamstresses. ;) *hug*

Juanita - aka flosslady said...

These are great instructions. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Yenny from 1-2-3 said...

Thank you for the instructions, I was able to do one on my own, with your help and cyberstitchers.

claire said...

c'est super!!! merci beaucoup ..it is very nice